What are the benefits of a song mode?

Yeah, you and a lot of people, I just thought I’d put another way of using it out there and point out the trivialities of an automatic song mode vs what’s already implemented and working.
I actually quite like the kit save with pattern thing, now I have my head around the workflow/data structure. I wish all their other machines did it. Now you no longer have to press buttons to save your kits (or forget to) and recalling a kit is a few button presses away (PTN, FUNC + copy, FUNC + paste). It simplifies what is a very confusing data hierarchy on the Analog Four.
I can’t think of a way of implementing a kit feature that would work without totally changing the data structure/OS. But being able to save name load kits would be fun. But you have the ability to save ‘Sounds’ for that.

They have made it super flexible going this route - with the floating point storage and 127 loaded sample system - kits/settings with patterns, got a lot of functionality out of what they had to work with, I think it’s genius, but yeah it strays away from the traditional workings of samplers, so yeah people are going to ask for it to be like them or have similar features.

2 Likes

treating the sound bank like a giant kit in which each saved sound is treated like a patch on a traditional synth can change the way you think about the workflow of the digitakt. saving sounds makes it easy to transfer things from pattern to pattern and eliminates a lot of unnecessary copying and pasting.

3 Likes

aye, i would go on saving marathons on the AR to save sounds, so yeah, that’s probably the best option. it’s all good.

1 Like

I thought the question was about the BENEFITS of a song mode, not “explain in detail how you personally don’t need song mode and how everyone who would find it useful is wrong and doesn’t really understand how to use the machine properly”

6 Likes

This post kills the thread. That’s all there is to it.

People wouldn’t have to constantly ask for a song mode…

3 Likes

I am the vocalist in a metal band. I write and record all the songs myself, programming the drums using sounds as close to what my drummer’s kit sounds like and in the way he would play it. I make demos of the songs and give them to the other guys to learn from. what I thought I could do with the digitakt was sample the drummer’s kit and make up a kit from those sounds in the dt. have the drums to the full songs I’m working on programmed on it, take it to the drummer’s house, plug it thru the pa and play guitars along to it so we can fine tune exactly how we want the drum parts to go e.g. this part would sound better with a ride instead of hi hats, quickly change that and see if it works, or he wants to do a different fill here, program that change in and see how it sounds, what if we make this verse shorter, etc etc
one box. all the songs on it. quickly change or tweak arrangements, fills etc
no, manually changing patterns every time won’t work. I’m trying to play guitar along to it.
I totally agree and understand that it’s a stripped back machine and very good for playing live, improvising, tweaking etc, that doesn’t mean that’s the only way people should use it. I don’t really see song mode or even saving pattern chains as a “feature” and I think it’s ridiculous people saying they’re doing heaps of cool stuff already without song mode but adding song mode would somehow limit or stifle their creativity or whatever. not like somebody is going to stand behind you and whack you with a stick every time you don’t use it. “oh my god they added song mode now I can’t use this machine anymore”
yeah I know… I’m “doing it wrong”

5 Likes

Workflows differ from individual to individual. While one may find many benefits to a song mode, others may find it restrictive or never use it. No individual is right or wrong. Establishing a workflow that works and fits into ones environment is an individual process, even if you write with others.
For those that really need a song mode, be open to the workarounds, if the instrument is not for you that’s ok. For those that do not need a song mode good for you, you’ve figured out a workflow that fits.
I’ve said this before but the benefit I see in song mode is the ability to set offsets on patterns but that’s silver box song mode. A lot of the song mode features pattern bpm, pattern mutes, and chaining exist in the digitakt already.

2 Likes

Are you honestly saying you dont use a smartphone nor tablet? Fairplay buddy, my grandad has a similar attitude and I dont blame him people get used to what they grew up with. Myself only being 50 I love new technology and the touchscreen on the mpc live is great to work with.

Taking a page from the Korg book.

It’s too bad. They would be a much better company if they made stand alone products.

What smartphone app would you use for a song mode?

when people say they are never going to add a song mode is that the same as when everyone said there will NEVER be an octatrack 2? and yes I know the octatrack 2 is not much different to the original but my point is right up until it came out (a month after I bought the original version) they were definitely never going to do it…

You should read the post that person was replying too…

well people are saying here that if you’re going to program the whole song you may as well just play it in iTunes so… iTunes?

I don’t find it restrictive that it has features I don’t use so I don’t see how adding song mode could do that for people who don’t use song mode… thanks for the workaround tips but sort of defies the point of a simple setup if you have to make it more complicated to make something work which could be very simple…
chaining exists. you can’t save it. yes you’re right a lot of the song mode features exist, except the most important one… an actual song mode or being able to save chains.

1 Like

I think you misinterpreting that. Some people find using it restrictive, which is true as a number of people have stated. Some people don’t bother with it at all. Those are not necessarily the same group.
I personally use song mode sometimes, sometimes I don’t. Depends on the situation.

I’m not understanding the massive amount of negativity in this thread.

I wasnt referring to an app on the iphone I was referring to the fact he said he has no time for touchscreens. They’re difficult to avoid these days especially if you have a smartphone.

1 Like

ok cool sorry I’m not trying to be negative or argue I actually do find it interesting and useful all the stuff people are saying about using it without song mode, I was getting frustrated because I needed help or advice and seemed to be a lot of posts saying generally “I don’t need song mode so why would anyone else?”

1 Like

Ok, sorry, it wasn’t obvious to me I thought you had an aversion to touchscreens as I did when they were first around as they never seemed to respond properly. Now I think I understand. You have no prob with touchscreens but for you the touchscreen on the new MPCs has led to a loss of cool retro factor perhaps? I do of course understand that to a degree but simply dont let it get in the way of my creative / technical choices anymore.

But then you can’t manipulate parameters on the fly while the midi plays…

I was hoping there was a phone app for midi sequencing pattern changes.