What are the benefits of a song mode?

Yes, if we could at least save chains with our songs, that would be a great first step. Just this basic addition would help so much.

Or they could make an even more minimal feature by simply allowing a toggle on/off ‘song mode’ (or whatever you want to call it) which simply plays all the patterns one after the other in order. Pllllease give us this (and scale-per-track…).

5 Likes

here’s my thoughts: i don’t improvise much live (for now) because i don’t want to mess up, so a song mode would make it even less “improvy”

HOWEVER, perhaps i would improvise more live if there was a song mode as i’d have time and hands to think and do whatever i’d like.

in conclusion, bring on song mode - if you don’t like it or think it’s cheating, don’t use it. if it’d be useful to you, perfect

1 Like

I want more options for live sequencing.

There are a couple of promising options available, and some of them, Elektrons particularly, are very nifty in creating sequences during gigs, but frustratingly rarely they have capability for transposing your sequences at the heat of the night. Either pressing play button and acting busy while browsing for your next song, or making otherwise elaborate patterns live that keep repeating in the same key for tens of minutes are not for me.

Analog 4/Keys would otherwise be my dream machine, but it’s just 5 tracks.

1 Like

The benefits are I only have two hands and an aging/smokey brain that isn’t good at multitasking anymore!

2 Likes

Not everyone who uses Elektron gear are DJ’s or knob twiddlers. Some of us actually play guitars, bass, sing, play drums, play keyboards, horns, or other traditional instruments. Whilst playing these instruments (which usually require two hands), and performing for audiences, we don’t have time to be clicking a button every 15 seconds.

Not having song mode is a pretty big thing to leave off of a drum machine/sequencer IMO. It’s not like we’re asking Elektron to include a flux capacitor. Most of your budget drum machines and sequencers (even ones from 20 years ago) have this basic feature.

15 Likes

I like song mode because i can only focus on so much and at least that way i am sure that i won’t repeat a pattern for too long while i’m tweaking something else.

1 Like

Feature request!

2 Likes

It’s gonna be tough to harness 1.21 gigawatts for every gig…
I’m waiting for DT mk2 with Mr. Fusion…

2 Likes

+1 for the flux capacitor, wait till this baby hits 88BPM

7 Likes

Brilliant :smiley:

1 Like

My Korg ER-1 which is much less capable than a Digitakt, has a song mode. How hard can it be to implement?

6 Likes

It’s a glaring omission IMO. The DT sounds really really good. If it had song mode, along with the bugs worked out, this thing would be a monster.

5 Likes

I agree. A bugless DT with songmode would become my main machine.

I play keys and sequence at the same time. I can’t always be fast enough to change patterns while playing keys to do everything I want to while performing live. A song mode would fix that problem for me. But for now the DT remains relegated to a scratch pad in my home studio.

5 Likes

That would be a top notch feature - a performance recorder. Not pattern based, - linear recording of all tweaked performance parameters. (Ok one could do it with midi clip in abelton, but would be killer to have it in the machines.)

2 Likes

That’s going to be a long 2.5 years of wait… there is so much to fiddle with at the moment, get something you like play it, have fun, if not sell it them move on. Find something that interests you.

You know song mode can be created with midi?

If its not buggy…
youncan send prog changes from a midi channel out of the Digitakt and again into the Digitakt…
So you can make a sequence of prog changes from a midi
Channel, on such a way you create a song mode…

2 Likes

There are a couple threads that go over this technique, it lets one use the midi lfos on the audio tracks, send program changes to itself and a couple other things I believe. The technique is also usable on the octatrack.

1 Like

i dont use the song mode. never did. too much hassle and the mutes can only be programmed per pattern. but if you perform contemporary electronic music, you often mute the kick 1 bar before the next pattern starts and then unmute it again. this can not be programmed in song mode, it always sets the mute for the whole pattern. so its not benefical to have that option.

also, you can easily get lost in the menu with all these patterns, one row after the other. its more confusing than its helpful for me. never used it and - will never need it! :wink:

1 Like

The monomachines song mode has offsets in which something like this can be done. Set a pattern with setting the offset so only one bar plays and mute the kick. Next pattern in the sequence same patter but full one no muted kick.
The benefits of song mode for the digi really depend on which song mode gets enabled. The silver boxes have a pretty good flexible song mode, I hear the dark trinity isn’t as good.
Personally song mode got me through early all hardware performances but I use it a lot less now

1 Like