What are some OT features you wished you have found earlier

Thanks that looks intresting

How to sample

5 Likes

overall i wish i’d realised it wasn’t as tricky to use as i thought it was.
there are more crazy things that i could do with it, but i’ve been fine with it so far.

3 Likes

This times a million. Choosing sounds from the CFD is such a hassle and presents speed bumps in the workflow. I wish I had just sucked it up and just spent an afternoon practicing live sampling just so every time I boot up the OT and can just feed it and get on the road to nonsense

6 Likes

Chaining patterns

2 Likes

Infos, infos, infos … here you go (digesting it may take some while):

4 Likes

I wish I had better grasp of the pool and parts, then also how to structure it all in a singke template fir smooth workflow

1 Like

@sezare56 is talking about conditional trigs like fill, 1st, percentages, and ratios.
What you are referring to are parameter locks using trigless trigs.

1 Like

Ha! I’ve had the Octatrack since Nov 2012 and I still don’t know how to sample … reliably! I resorted to sampling elsewhere and loading samples from CF long ago. I was beginning to think there was something wrong with my OT. Even following the manual and online examples to the “T”, I would end up with truncated samples, empty samples etc.!

2 Likes

All the stuff I haven’t found yet

1 Like

Using the LFO to “slice” up a sample, and randomize those “slices” without having to create any actual slices.

Edit: I learned it this weekend!

5 Likes

That if you “save to self” and choose the recording buffer it will keep whatever name you give it and you can then use it as a template. Made the idea of sampling and its subsequent management so much nicer.

1 Like

you’re getting me curious :sunglasses: could you elaborate ?

1 Like

…to use a saved sample as a template :question:

1 Like

The name you give the recorder buffer when you first assign a sample to “self” will stay that. Therefore all subsequent samples can be saved with a small variation on that name. This saves time entering a new name for every sample you want to save.

11 Likes

Trigless locks. To use them with conditionals to make a loop shift and change for I don’t know how long, without actually launching it again, was one of many late Octatrack revelations for me.

4 Likes

Another great reason to save a sample in a recording buffer is that it will load when you switch on the Octatrack. That way, you don’t have to start with an empty track.

2 Likes

More details here:

3 Likes

Fantastic tip. Just starting to thi k about a master template for things, and this is a really useful bit of knowledge

1 Like

The OT is the first machine I’ve used trigless locks as a sound design tool.
On the other boxes I just never think to use it, but the OT does make you think differently.

I’m sure that would make a great slogan…

1 Like