What are 'Retrigs?"

Hey folks, reading through the manual and messing around with the demo mode of the Octatrack to get a handle on it. (Highly recomend doing this)

I’m trying to understand this sentence from the manual. This is in regards to playback parameters for flex machines, its page 67 of my manual:

“RTRG sets the number of retrigs that should occur
when a note is trigged.”

Is this like a stutter or a flam?

any tips welcome. Thanks!

Yes. Try it out!

3 Likes

The Octatrack should be approached with the child-like curiosity of Dee Dee from Dexter’s Lab

Why ask what something does when you can just do the thing?!

2 Likes
1 Like

Yes, its both and much more.
It RETriggers the sample a set number of times with a set amount of space.
You set the number of RETriggers and the amount of space. see?
you can flam.
you can roll.
you can make shrill metallic bugs fly out of space.
mess with that retrig!

3 Likes

Retrigs are also chromatics! You can use them to make melodies…

6 Likes

YES!
This too.
Its a vast tool.

1 Like

Woah! Fuck, this is new to me, had no idea!!

3 Likes

…and the price for “best question of the decade” goes to…

jay, the b b. b b b b bbbbaybay!

1 Like

Used here chromatically for all melodic stuff. From a voice sample. (Sometimes SoundCloud plays it buggyly, stuck loop).
First song with OT! Science Lab.

5 Likes

fantastic, as always.

1 Like

yes, as you shorten the space within which the sample will be retriggered, whilst raising the amount of times it will be retriggered within that shortened space, it creates a pitched tone.
which you can then fuuuuck with.

Woah. Can you explain how?

does that make sense?

1 Like

It was almost 7 years ago! I can’t explain everything but IIRC I assigned retrig time to the crossfader and sequenced it with a midi track. But this is not required.

Each retrig value increment corresponds to a semitone. More noticeable with lower values. Pressing the knob, it jumps to next octave (12 semitones).

3 Likes

Wow thanks for the tips y’all! I was experimenting with the demo mode and it wasn’t makeing much sense, but i tried it out with a more percussive sound and now i see what y’all mean. I had never thought of a function like that. Thanks!

1 Like