We're actually on a desert island for real now

For me, it’s my laptop and keystep. (I know that’s two). Never realized how much fun and simple the KS is and finally making arrangements in Ableton vs my ongoing Clip catalog. I use my laptop every day (wfh), so have been literally jamming in between meetings all day long. Also learning the guitar - who knew that when you practice daily, muscle memory starts to kick in. LoL

Kindest regards from Philadelphia!!

2 Likes

Computer with Max and Ableton Live for me.
Otherwise, I’d say a piano.
For synths, JX-3P and Prophet Rev2.
Atlantis or anything à la 101.

2 Likes

Make sure to load 1.4.3 if you get a chance. Bunch of features! And I’m in a similar boat so I totally feel the grab and go limitations.

1 Like

HandSonic HPD-15 all the way. the best electronic percussion unit ever made, period.
it’s a lot of fun to play by itself, but it’s even more fun to control its effects from external sequencer. i’m making CC-to-SysEx convertor for that, it’s a good time to finish and test it.

2 Likes

If it was truly only allowed one thing, it would be this old Spanish guitar I have, otherwise it would be Digitone right now. If I could get my hands on an M:C tho, I would imagine it would be that.

3 Likes

If I really have to decide for one: Deluge, not a second of thinking about something else.
But as my Studio is in my home, I don’t have to decide.
Currently I have way too much fun with Deluge + Microfreak + Pure Acid and TONS of Reverb!

3 Likes

Well atm I’ve started a project with a couple of mates who are all out of work and isolating. We’re making some tunes by dropping audio into Dropbox and putting it together separately but following a general idea to eventually make a set of tracks.

I’ve rediscovered a ton of jams from my modular as I record the stereo out of my mixer in to ableton whenever it’s being used. I’m really loving simpler/sampler and push 2, cutting up tracks and making beds of audio…then re sampling back into my OT and starting the process again. I’m using my ER 301 in a ton of different capacity’s., it’s such a good module and it can do all kinds of clever sampling/granulating similar to the OT, or be a modular glitchy af drum machine, or just signal processing, recording etc etc etc

If I had to choose it would be my OT with all my samples tho.

2 Likes

I strangely find myself with even less time for music now. Not sure if it is my general attitude or running around trying to make sure we have the various supplies we need.

6 Likes

In a quest for tranquility, I’ve put everything away but the Digitone for now… A big desk full of interconnected machines was doing my head in. And the DN’s melancholic tones fit the vibe pretty well.

I also got to thinking about that ‘Depth Year’ concept that was discussed a bit on here a couple of months ago. With a bit of time on my hands, and no desire to spend money at the moment, it seems like a great time to put aside the GAS and learn my existing gear inside out.

6 Likes

still enjoying the MM-AR-A4-OT combo here :smiley:

3 Likes

Story of my life — thanks for the article. I guess I have to do exactly this: Don‘t buy new stuff.

2 Likes

op1 balcony beats

7 Likes

The op asked “which instrument do you turn to now…?”. For me, without a doubt, that is the OB-6. Of all my instruments, this is the one that brings the most comfort in stressful times. I can play that thing for hours, and never turn on a sequencer :heartpulse:. Couple it with a nice external reverb, it’s heaven on earth (is there opium on the knobs or something)? But, I think if was truly forced to choose in a desert island situation, it’d have to be OT, or a computer with Push2. These are truly endless entertainment.

4 Likes

Im turning to the Blackbox and the iPad mostly right now. easy to whip it out in the moments of freedom between parenting.

2 Likes

The iPad with AUM and Beatmaker 3 with AUv3s from Sugar Bytes, apeSoft, Audio Damage…

2 Likes

I’ve stepped away from my desk and other instruments and am on the couch with an iPad into a pile of guitar pedals into the digitakt. Deep House time.

…buuuuuut, the digitone keys keeps looking at me.

1 Like

Oops. Got 1.5.1 and think I already found a bug :frowning: renaming (and saving) a preset looses everything.

I’m spending the next few hours sampling OB-6. Won’t be the same. But playing with increased polyphony in the Black Box is a nice trade off.

1 Like

Oh that’s not a great bug now is it… :sob:

Last few days i have been thinking what to bring back home to the desert island!

I have the digital piano at home but thinking will bring back.

Octatrack (loaded with useful stuff)
Mix pre 3
Line audio CM3

Nice, hope you get a lot of fun, inspiration and enjoyment out of that, I own a Prophet 6 and the pro 3 is the only other Sequential synth that interests me.

1 Like