Weird time-stretch sound when turning on slices

Hi there OTnutters.

This has been driving me nuts today. Probably something very simple… but I get a weird time-stretch sound when turning on slices in the playback setup menu.

the scenario is this, I record a loop into one of the recorders and then when I slice it up in the audio editor, and turn on slices to be able to lay down sliced trigs things get weird

anybody know what I´m doing wrong?

Sounds odd (and a bit awesome).

Are you recording into the buffer constantly, or is recording stopped before you slice?

hi rikrak, yes I´ve stopped recording. I´ve tried to save it to flex and static, but the same thing happens when turn on Slises it get´s all digital crazy :slight_smile:

1. Just to rule it out… do you have MIDI cables connected? If so, try without them connected. Might be some unwanted MIDI Notes?

2. Is the sequencer running when the sound happens?

3. You are sure you’re not re-recording into the sliced buffer?

4. Some FX anomaly? Switch both FX pages to None on that track.

5. Does it still happen if you start a New Project and do the bare minimum to recreate it?

I wonder if the OT is changing the loop bpm between modes or somethign like that? A long shot though!

I associate the “weird timestretch sound” with when I use delay and muck about with time & feedback. Could there be some parameter locks associated with this FX?

Are the slice playback rates consistent? I don’t see why they wouldnt be from just changing into slice mode.

In short, I don’t really know… haha

1. no midi in or out
  2. yes it´s running
    3 yes no playback trigs
  3. no fx, off.
  4. tried in a new project

iI made a new project and recorded this on my phone, so you can hear and see (not very well, hemm) what happens. I´m recording my voice into Track 3, then I put a playback trig and it sounds normal, then I slice it up and then you hear what happens. then I Create Linear Locks… then you´ll definitely hear what´s going on.

First thought is that it looks like you are manually starting and stopping the recording at an arbitrary length and the OT is trying to stretch it to match the Project BPM.

Either record a full bar or turn off Timestretch in the Sample Attributes menu.

RLEN is set to 16, same length as the pattern. Recorded using rec tric so it should know the right bpm.

but it definitely sounds like a sample that dont know what bpm it is

You want to check your Sample Attributes from the sample edit interface – set the tempo and the length of the sample to the right values, and this should go away.
Another solution is double tapping “playback” on the track you have the sample on, and setting timestretch to off.

You make 8 slices… Do you have 8 trigs spaced evenly on the page or 16 trigs? It sounds like each slice is retrigging…

Another solution is double tapping “playback” on the track you have the sample on, and setting timestretch to off.

Also, this

Do you have timestretch turned on in the playback setup menu?

cheers Rikrak and Josker… tried your suggestions… and random stuff on and off, made new projects,… then somehow the problem disappeared. I have no idea what happened. but now I cant recreate it again. Magic?

Early days with the OT are a magical time when strange hallucinations and manifestations drift in and out of the ether. Don’t fight it :wink:

:slight_smile:

Does anyone have any update on this issue. i think i have it. and am struggling to figure it out so far :frowning_face:

What’s the behavior ?
Could you post an audio example ?

Timestretch is on by default. You can set it to off.
(Timestretch doesn’t work with samples or slices shorter than 6143 samples (139 ms)

Yeah it could be that OT is analysing the BPM to another BPM then that of the pattern and if time stretch is on on the sample track then it could probably result in OPs problem

Sorry I didn’t see that your post was 7years old :laughing:

2 Likes

Check in the AED menu under FX1 if the original tempo is the same as the pattern, if not try changing that to the pattern BPM and see if it helps

1 Like

:joy:

Actually mad to think how long I’ve been using the OT on and off. Been without an OT for about 18 months now though and nostalgia has a habit of leading to GAS. Must resist!