Weird thing on my Rytm Mk2

So i’m working in a project on the Rytm Mk2 and i have this weird thing : when i press stop on it, although the audible sound actually stops, i could see on my mixer’s leds that there is indeed some sound still going out from the Rytm. If i press stop on the Rytm a second time, this will stop.

To help find out what is happening, i recorded a small loop and indeed, when i press stop, there was some sound coming out, but a really bass sound, i could not hear it even with my headphones. The wav looks like the image below (the red square shows where i press Stop, but the audio will still coming out). What can i do to discover (and fix) this curious thing ? :stuck_out_tongue:

I uploaded the clip here : https://filetransfer.io/data-package/GtJlGHKr

one of your tracks envelope release is on INF

3 Likes

When making a new kit, my first step is always changing the Amp envelope from infinity to a numerical value. Don’t know why it’s set like that by default.

1 Like

Do you refer to the ‘Dec’ on the Amp page ?

Yes there’s probably sub audible frequencies or filter resonance below 20hz that’s ringing. Once a track has been triggered the vca on that track if dec and hold are at default values will sustain infinitely. I think this is where a lot of the “led” and tracks trig bugs are being reported. Because there’s actually signal happening. If you have a lot of makeup gain on your compressor you can amplify the line noise when stopping a pattern. Hitting stop the second time forces all amps closed and kills any effect tails you have. This is how most elektron boxes have worked since the monomachine days

2 Likes

I still could not find what is causing this issue. Even if i mute all tracks, the sub frequency still shows on my mixer until i press stop twice. Any more hints ?

Ohhh what’s your compressor makeup gain set at?

Muting on AR doesn’t cut all audio, it mutes the trigs, if the sequencer has already hit a trig before you mute that trig will still finish its amp envelope. Double stop cuts all audio. You probably have a long release somewhere and it keeps going for a bit.

Mute all tracks, double stop, and press play. You should hear nothing. One by one explore a track at a time by pressing play and then stop, and see which one rings out… If needed check compressor…

3 Likes

Thank you , i could identify the problem was in Track 9. With only this track active, when i play and stop, i get the inaudible frequency playing until i hit stop twice.

However i could not yet find where the problem could be… I took some picutres of all tabs, maybe this can help identify ?

Thanks again :smiley:

1 Like

On screen one: try to disable synth and sample, then nothing should play. You could also try to reduce decay on screen 5. On screen 6 put the lfo depth to 0.

Looking at all your screens, it could be possible that sample 6 is somehow playing…

1 Like

Looks like the decay on the amplitude page could be at Inf. Causing any sound on the track to ring out forever, unless you double click stop.

2 Likes

What they said… :smile:

Yes, it looks like the decay setting on the AMP page is the offender. Either it’s very long or INF.

Since almost two weeks ago someone suggested the envelope settings I wonder if you haven’t tested it. Problems like this are almost every time related to envelope settings or effects.

2 Likes

Also worth noting that this is correct behaviour for all the Elektron boxes.

Press stop once = sequencer stops but effects and note decays run out.

Press stop second time = all audio off.

As well as long decay on looped samples, long reverb decay times and delay feedback close-to or above 64 will cause this effect. I think it’s a good feature, and often it’s really nice to have the effects run out at the end of a set. You do need to watch looped samples, but even the I use that as a cool track transition between songs on one of my Rytm projects.

2 Likes

Thank you, this was the problem indeed. I already checked this, but not on the right channel…

:smiley:

1 Like