Weekly Octatrack Ambient

Getting back into the Octatrack, focusing on live ambient tracks. No sequencer, all live triggering + tweaking. Gonna try to turn out a jam every week.

20 Likes

Nice… Grandma Tapes was some of the first all Octatrack stuff I listened to, I really like it. Good to see your at it again I’ll definitely check this out later…

1 Like

Subscribed

2 Likes

This time around I tried to build up interesting chords out of single-note sounds on each track. I set up scenes as different chords and pitch bent between them. Also got some subtler whammy bar style vibrato going on with the crossfader. Aside from that there’s LFO modulation (of volume, filters, and panning) and a bunch of reverb.
15 Likes

this is really good

3 Likes

#3: Champagne Flutes

Once again set the scenes to different pitch locks and used the crossfader to slide between them. All flute samples this time around. Tracks are set up in pairs that play the same pitch. Each half is panned opposite, with slightly different modulation to give some movement to the stereo image. Added reverb in DAW.
16 Likes

That sounds so good, love how some notes go up as others go down and you hit these nice chordal changes… Love the ambient but it would also be sweet with some beats and bass. :smile:

1 Like

These are lovely! Thanks.

admission

OctaG.A.S. is set to high now.

1 Like

Thanks! And yeah, I hear you regarding beats. I’m gonna stay ambient for as long as possible, but I might start moving into slightly more rhythmic territory instead of all this paddy stuff.

1 Like

#4:

This time I was starting with violin sounds. I used the sequencer with different track lengths on each track + some conditional trigs. As per the last couple weeks, scenes/crossfader control pitch. Another hazy orchestral cloud.

8 Likes

#5:

set custom LFOs to control pitch changes on tracks 2-4. bending between 3rd-4th, 5th-6th, 8ve-9th while a drone holds down the root
crossfader controls filter base/width of a loop on track 5
11 Likes

Beautiful!!

1 Like

This one reminds me of Blade Runner 2049. Very creative. I always find it hard to create ambient music, mostly because I’m afraid to turn the tempo down! You’re giving me some ideas though, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

There are tons of inspiration in your videos. Thanx for sharing! (already subscribed a while ago)

Especially the “don’t use the sequencer at all” approach got me experimenting. This would make a nice science lab project. Isn’t it?

… shoutout to @sezare56 @darenager @Open_Mike …

4 Likes

@jamrod Oh wow I remember those Grandma tapes too, great stuff, I’ll check these out when time permits, I’d like to give them the attention they deserve so will listen properly when I have some time :thup:

@tnussb yeah sequencer-less jamming is the new dawless jamming :rofl: Joking aside I did consider a OT lab using no sequencer but thought it might put people off. Edit: though probably not our crazy French friend, he’d relish it :joy:

3 Likes

I used to jam sequencerless all the time back in the day…
We would refer to the approach as playing “guitar”… Haha… :smiley:

5 Likes

What witchcraft is this? And does it have trig conditions :rofl:

5 Likes

latest guitar OS update includes pick conditions.

3 Likes

A french guy (Diablophisto) gave me the idea of a no knob challenge. Use only buttons. :loopy:
Option : noze only.

2 Likes

Warlock…

-Trig conditions came in an update that you had to perform manually with your fingers every time you wanted to use them… :smile:

2 Likes