We need a pattern management tool for building live sets

Would anyone else think this is a good idea? My workflow usually consists of these steps:

• I start a new project and populate it with lots of sketches & ideas
  • I never create different projects for different genres of music because ideas just mutate when I am in active-jam-mode
  • I end up with a project full of patterns and then say to myself: I’d like to create a specific live-set but I only need these 30 patterns.
  • So I need to move them to a new project and copy them in there in the order I wish to use them live < This is a VERY tedious, lame and time consuming task because I need to enter a project, copy a pattern, switch projects, paste the pattern and repeat… It takes ages
  • Once I have copied my patterns to a new project, I usually leave spaces in between which I then fill with ‘transitional patterns’

I would love to see a tool where I can just connect my Digitakt & Digitone to the Computer and then just drag & drop patterns from one project to another and build the structure of my live-set. Please create something like this to help us create awesome live-sets without all that time consuming and lame workflow… This actually is keeping me from building sets… All my machines are full of projects with great stuff and its just too time consuming… If I wanted to create an all encompassing live-set from my work, it would take me weeks of just copy/pasting stuff between projects… Please Elektron hear my prayers :smiley:

22 Likes

I agree that some sort of patten management software would be really handy. Specially when dealing with multiple devices, it can get really painful just to reorganise things.
something standalone along with overbridge would be really nice :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It would also be great to be able to just rename patterns from my computer using that tool. Usually my patterns are Untitled because naming stuff on the fly during my sessions takes me out of the moment.

Octatrack has OctaEdit.

9 Likes

So this is something feasible, interesting

Yeah it would be so great to have this kind of thing for the more recent devices… For me It has boiled down to just using the Digitakt/Digitone/Heat… It’s all I need really… Maybe Elektron could just add a pattern management-page to Overbridge

2 Likes

This in part sounds like what’s already happening on the DT with elk-herd.

4 Likes

Following out of professional curiosity… :thinking:

12 Likes

Elektron should hire @mzero and get this done for all their new products …I bet since he quit his dayjob he could do it in a few weeks.

1 Like

elk-herd 3.0 will do pretty much exactly this for Digitakt. The beta release should be out next week and supports importing patterns from one Digitakt project into another, bringing along all required samples and sounds, and renumbering all track sample slots and plocks so everything still plays the same.

The elk-herd 3.0 alpha that is out will let you do this for Digitakt. You transfer the project from your DT to the computer, rename patterns (and re-order them - as well as sample and sound pool reordering), and then send it back to the DT.

You can find it here: Elk-herd 3.0 public alpha

I estimate it would take me about two to three months per device. I have an Analog Rytm, but it is a much more complex structure so I’m not sure if I’ll do that next. If I had a Digitone, that would probably be pretty close in feel to the DT.

21 Likes

Nice work dude!
If you make this for Rytm I’d buy instantly.

7 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for pointing that out!

1 Like

@Elektron: Give this guy a Digitone for free so he can do his magic! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Octatrack has OctaEdit…
Machinedrum has MDEdit…
…. :thinking:

9 Likes

ElektronEdit!

4 Likes

Want!

2 Likes

+1

I d value this way more than OB audio streaming.

7 Likes

I would buy a rtym mk2 version no problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Rusty?

@Rusty waves @Patch77

1 Like