Wavetable synthesis

I’ve looked at this old thread for playing back morphing wavetables: Wavetable synthesis

However, while trying to modulate start time with a slide trig or a lfo, I start to see and hear phasing issues. Everything morphs seamlessly with the slider (assigning 0 and 128 start time on opposite ends) with 32bit samples with 128 or 64 cycles of the morphing wavetable inside (16 bit samples create weird artifacts). I’ve talked to two elektron representatives in person about the issue but they can’t figure out what’s going wrong. I’ve opened a support ticket hoping they address this bug because having the ability to playback morphing wavetables would greatly extend the lifespan of an amazing product that unfortunately doesn’t look like it has much plans in the future.

I recorded a short video of the phasing issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUKTDSvh8YU&feature=youtu.be

I’m curious if anyone here has managed to successfully sequence morphing wavetables without using a midi loopback and using a midi lfo to modulate the slider CC.

3 Likes

I’m surprised it works better with 32 bits… :thinking:
How do you proceed ? The sample has to be retrigged if you want to change sample start / slice…
Would you share your original files for tests ?

Edit : ok I tested with a sine loop and it’s clicky.
Doesn’t work with Slice mode whitout retrigging the sample. Works with Start.
Do you set LOOP to Normal, LEN to Time and 1 value ?

yes, also I’m going to see if I can upload the project file and wavetables by tonight

hey guys,
quite curious about new insights in this topic :slight_smile:
im planing to make a quadrophonic performance/installation with a quad-VCO-wavetable-setup and looking into some modular-solutions, but since i have an OT-MK1 in my hands id like to see if there`s any way to use this instead of building a 2K-modular-environment that would achieve the same.

so did ELEKTRON respond in any way? or is there a way of having insight to the project-file?

Did you try this?

1 Like

Not a dream but reallity ! Just tried, works really well with crossfader.

Followed above @Hades_of_Spades method with start.

Here is a wavetable I made with SINE / TRI / SAW morphing, with AUDIO-TERM, 128 slices. Crossfader assigned to start, slice mode off, Playback Setup LEN = TIME, LOOP = ON, LEN = 1

6 Likes

Does this work even if you change the start point quickly? I remember it being quite glitchy.

Edit: just listened and it sounds smooth!!! I guess the difference is I was using 64 “waves” and a length of 2 instead of 128 and 1.

1 Like

You tried it with start and crossfader?
Sine around start = 0 seems clickier but I think it’s normal. I plocked AMP ATK / REL.

Sequenced with midi loopback.

No I just listened to your short demo! I never saw the reply to my post about using 128 and 1 (in 2015!!!). Pretty chuffed to discover works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Normal it’s smooth, it’s the wavetable! :wink:

Back to wavetables then?

Yeah, I’ll probably have a play this week. I made some MATLAB scripts for extracting wavetables from audio, I’ll see if I can find them.

1 Like

Thanks for this! Can’t wait to try it out and see how it compares to the dream :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Can you please tell me how to get Audio Term to make 128 slice wavetables (the default seems to be 33 slices I think?)

I followed @elektrosamplist Micromonsta’s wavetable tutorial, but I can’t explain now. I’d need to do it again…AUDIO TERM is from another age…:exploding_head:
https://www.audiothingies.com/micromonsta/wavetable-tutorial/#

1 Like

(@Hades_of_Spades) Good news, it is possible to modulate with lfos, assigning crossfader to start, midi loopback and a midi track with an lfo assigned to crossfader’s CC48 control change. :content:

Otherwise it’s clicky indeed, except with Hold, but it is limited of course.

Wavetable test (128 start points) with wavetables I made.
Crossfader modulation, then lfo on crossfader…

15 Likes

Could you use the LFO designer to restrict start point to integers? Or does it still interpolate between points?

No problem to use lfos with HOLD mode so I think yes, no problem with lfo designer.

Edit : yes, it works with HOLD.

1 Like

This topic keeps popping up and I keep being interested but here’s what I don’t get:

How do I find (or make) a wavetable that is exactly 128 cycles? How does one accomplish such a thing?

I followed @elektrosamplist Micromonsta’s wavetable tutorial, but I can’t explain now. I’d need to do it again…

1 Like