Waldorf Quantum

My most recent plunge in the Q manual is reading again about the LFO’s. Sure the Komplex Manipulator has an amazing amount of flexibility – like being able to blend between two hand drawn value curves of up to 32 points each, at audio rates, controlled with 6 front panel knobs. But the ‘simple’ LFO’s are pretty powerful as well.

So you can adjust the amount you warp any of the six LFO shapes you pick, adjust the attack and decay speeds, choose between a range of sync modes, adjust the slew rate, change the spot where the LFO wave starts (useful for slower LFO’s), and add what sounds like a pre-attack. And then of course you can direct this change at a whole range of parameters via the modulation matrix.

Some of this seems really useful for the more ambient or drone sorts of patches. How about sliding between the three separate types of oscillators on one voice with these longers sounds with a very long LFO. Or change it all around and run the LFO at audio rates.

There’s also a way in the LFO to do a single sample and hold that is done just once at the start of a note, that i could see using for picking a random wave shape for instance.

I definitely see adding some external control knobs or sliders for these too or run them off the X Y pad on the touch screen.

Not sure of other synths that have this sort of functionality on their LFO’s – probably – i’m just ignorant.

Game Waldorf

Blue for Particle
Red for Resonator
Green for Waveform
Turquoise for Wavetable

My favorite Q video so far. Sound only.

It’s the first time this guy ever played the Q:

USB Audio
From the article that Kari linked to above:
Ob auch USB-Audio möglich sein wird, kann derzeit noch nicht versprochen werden.

Translation: Whether USB audio will be possible, can not yet be promised.

The way this is phrased makes it sound like this is (a) under consideration, and (b) within the hardware’s capability. (In illustrative comparison to the Elektron Octatrack where the hardware design makes USB audio impossible.)

This sounds positive, but inconclusive. Not a deal breaker though.

Massive Chordal Overkill in Green Mode
So because this is possible – not that it is desirable – but i’ll have to try this at least once.
Put all six oscillators in Green mode – meaning Waveform. Four voices to layer one, four to layer two.

Set all the Counts to 8 and tune the four kernel oscillator Semitones to some 7th chord (four separate notes).

This will set in motion 192 separate oscillators! A wall of sound. Experiment with different chords (i’m thinking of trying a Kenny Barron chord), chord progressions, spread, detune, voice shape, warp, pan, filter (analog dual and digital), modulations, etc …

The Math

8 kernel oscillators per oscillator
x 3 oscillators per voice
x 8 voices
. _______
192 kernel oscillators

Almost double to “Look Mum No Computer’s” 100 oscillator experiment.

ADDED: Inject some randomized modulations on this and maybe some faster more standard modulations on some filters and this probably can take you into areas of swarm synthesis.

Live Blue Mode Feedback
Again because this is possible – not necessarily something that will sound good.

Connect a loopback cable from the Aux Output back to the Input.

Use the Live Granular Mode (Blue) to process the output sent back.

If some of the Live Granular voice is sent to the Aux Output, you have granular ‘feedback’. Even without ‘feedback’ using the Particle oscillator as an effect processor has got to be an interesting effect.
Experiment with the amount of ‘feedback’, or all the factors (various oscillators, filters and effects), that feed into the audio at the Aux Output. There could also be external device(s) put into the ‘feedback’ path.

It’s possible to have up to three particle oscillators per voice times seven voices processing the output.

And what happens if there is nothing at the start with Live Granular Mode ‘feedback’? Would this be self-generating from silence?

2 Likes

In spite of my last two posts i think that key to using the Q will be restraint. Approaching it almost orchestrally with sound design, using simpler voices and evolving spectral structure. Using it with other more conventional sounds and synths, and putting it into that structure with it’s unique sounds.

I pre-ordered it today :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

brave man!
Please share you first experiences when it arrives :no_mouth:

1 Like

Sold my Bowen Solaris to grab the Quantum :crazy_face:

1 Like

The Solaris sure is awesome. But i think the Quantum can do a lot more!
I’m still struggling to decide between Quantum or Eurorack.

I really hope the Quantum will be a huge success. Maybe other company’s will follow this direction and digital/hybrid will have a new revival!

1 Like

I am right on the edge of this myself – suppose that’s no surprise from all my gushing inane posting here.

Quantum or Eurorack decisions have been in my mind too.

will preorder tommorrow

1 Like

My Solaris is gone today. Bye bye bro :disappointed_relieved:

I’m now convinced the Quantum will be a Goliath and one of a kind synth.
The Solaris is certainly one of the most powerful synth tho. The sound of the Solaris is so pure and sharp…
I hope I’ll not regret my choice -_-

The Quantum has multiple USB connections. One of them is for additional midi controllers.
It’s something i always miss on the other synths.

1 Like

Yes. There is so much that is right there on the front panel already (79 dials), adding a small amount of control for the things specific to the music being done to get at something deeper, makes a lot of sense. All those places in the manual that says Midi Learn CC – menu choices on the touch screen to twiddle an external knob and add midi control.

The Q will work well without a DAW. And i can picture using it with a DAW too.

ADDED: There are 133 references to Midi Learn CC in the manual.

Hopefully Waldorf has learnt quite much more about how to write synthesizer firmware and how to deliver reliable bugfixes in time (+ solid customer support). Their track record especially with the Blofeld isn’t that impressive (to state it mildly) …

1 Like

Cant remember exactly what was the issue with Blofeld? Something with failing encoders?

• Updates which rendered the Blofeld unusable
  • Bugfixes took quite long (or not fixed at all/not fixable due to hw design oversights)
  • Heavy sync problems with DIN MIDI (doesn’t react on start/stop but continues running internally, so on next start it is randomly offbeat)
  • LFOs not syncable
  • Arppegiator sync problems

… just a few hot topics from the waldorf forum at their site. What really turned me off from getting a Blofeld were the many posts about bad customer support and how much unanswered postings there were.

With a complex and expensive machine like the Quantum I’ll hope they will raise the quality quite a bit (software and support).

2 Likes