Waldorf Quantum

“You can touch it here”. No dude, I will not. Touch screens are dead to me.

1 Like

This thing is a beast…

Pretty much any Waldorf synth is a beast. If I was into eurocrack I would be getting their wavetable oscillator module asap.

Rolf touched me in a special way during this demo - i’ll drop 3 grand for him any day - loving those not so subtle digs at Korg/Roland et al - “zis is not a transfer of old circuit designs into something cheap” bwahahaha lovin it.

ITS ON MOTHAFUKAS.

4 Likes

Well this is on a different price bracket altogether… They did mess up with the Blofeld sample option quite a bit … not only did they sell the synth with the sample option built in but locked and requiring an extra 100 bucks to unlock -a shitty tactic- but the sample transfer was buggy and they took a loong time to fix that as well as the sync bug.

At 4k it’s a steal, I just pre-ordered 6 of these bad boys. 1 for the studio, 1 will be my main MIDI controller and the other 4 will be for spare parts.

4 Likes

That’s so nicely engineered - love the design. And the approach is awesome, not making clones but something new. Analog filters and digital engines. It’s almost like an Omnisphere in hardware format.

A shame that I need a lottery win to buy one, though…

and here I was thinking that I need to buy a car

2 Likes

Omg the GAS is back! I wish they would connect the camera input with the quantum. That’s what I call a real flagship! 8 voices, is not much but with this engines there is a lot potential for unheard sounds. But so expensive. I can only hope they make a desktop/Modul Version. For 400$ less, maybe then I could justify for my self, that i going spend that much money for a synthesizer!

1 Like

Like Stromberg his one is never going to be released!

Check out the specs if you don’t have GAS yet.
https://waldorfmusic.com/en/quantum

Quantum is the most superior synth!

Here some of the highlights:

• Waveform: Waveform with up to 8 simultaneous waves per Oscillator in detuned or chordal mode with hard-sync, warp & PWM as well as tunable noise

• Particle: Sampler in traditional and granular mode using multi-samples or live input

• Resonator: Exciter using multi-sampling plus filter bank sound model.
    Two analogue lowpass filters per voice each in 24 or 12 dB configuration using innovative link modes

• Digital former: Additional digital algorithms per voice like comb filter, high-pass, band-pass & notch filters (Nave, Largo or PPG models), bit-crusher, drive and more

• Flexible routing system for order of analog filters & digital former and individual oscillator routings

• 6 LFOs in poly and global mode with extensive parameter set

• 6 loopable envelopes
    Komplex: multistage LFO/envelope modulator
    Extensive modulation matrix with 40 slots and easy via-controller assignments
    Intuitive modulation assignment via panel elements and control LEDs

• Master effect rack of 5 slots for each timbre choosing from FX like phaser, flanger, chorus, reverb, drive, eq and more.

• Compressor for main output

• Step sequencer with step recording, parameter automation and scale-based pitch quantization
    Microtonal pitch configurations capable of importing Skala scl files

• Capable of polyphonic aftertouch via external Inputs

• Module-based preset system for effects, oscillators, step-sequenzer and Komplex modulator

• Single-function potentiometer and encoder controls for intuitive editing
    Visualisation and deeper sound editing via context-sensitive high-resolution capacitive multi-touch display
    Spectrum Analyzer and Oscilloscope at various processing stages

• Up to 10,000 sound patch capacity organized by banks, attributes, author and patch number.
    Favourites lists for quick recall of sound patches like for set-lists etc.
    Pre-loaded with wide variety of patches by acclaimed sound designers like Howard Scarr

• MIDI output of local keyboard, wheels and assignable panel elements

• Automation of sound parameters from MIDI inputs via MIDI CC learn function

• Recording of samples from audio inputs or self-recording of audio outputs
    4 GB*) internal Flash memory for presets, samples and wavetables
    Pre-loaded with more then 1 GB sample data
    Export & import of presets, sample & wavetable via SD card
    Import of Nave presets

A very detailed presentation of the different engines:

Synth Anatomy was clever enough to connect the cam with the output of the quantum!

1 Like

can I be honest? I played with the Quantum yesterday and it doesn’t sound as good as the specs say it should sound. Not sure why. Very cold and digital. However, it could have been partly the headphones supplied

mmm…heard that Quantum doesn’t have FM?
Still no mention of it in the specs.
Can’t be so can it?

Maybe they think it’s a matter of course. Or some simple AM, Ring mod stuff… But those engines look pretty deep. Plus 6 LFOs and 6 EG’s,up to 40 moduliations per patch… i want one so bad! And i usally hate touch screens, but in this case i can life with it.

Yeah it’s a beast but every synth needs fm, to get my interest anyway

i have to decide between this one and the yamaha Montage…i cant buy both, but i could buy one and the DTO. DIgIto, DT1? whats the official abbreviation for it ?

Only thing interesting in Montage is the FM engine.
Only thing missing in Quantum is FM
Good luck :upside_down_face:

edit: only one solution, just buy both :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

If you can afford it, Quantum and Digitone sounds like the best choice to me.

Yes, but i kind of like the idea that with the montage i could play classic piano sounds sometimes. I already have a bunch of synths and the Montage has a lot of sample based sounds i don’t have and the FM-X engine is really deep, i checked the manual. It will take some time until I have saved enough money for a such a investment. If Yamaha or Waldorf makes a desktop version then i might buy both : D