Waldorf Quantum

Quantum OS 2.0 !

So this is a major release with lots of new stuff and major improvements. From the article above:

Waldorf describes the Kernel oscillators as a sort of “oscillator construction kit, allowing for traditional approaches like a six-operator FM synth, as well as providing an experimental space for future-facing synthesis techniques.”

Six operator FM ! So the grumble up post on no FM is over. And there is a lot more possible besides with the Kernel Operators. And they’ve added a parameter-only Sequencer mode with up to eight parameter tracks. Wavetable enhancements and new wavetable user interface. Improvements to Particle (the granular synth) sound good too.

Would love to hear reactions from those that own this machine.

3 Likes

I updated today with the new patches. I have had the beta about a month. Good stiff!

1 Like

Noice :sweat_smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB3lmFS9uGY

… and stop complaining Quantum can’t do analog!

(from video) Thanks for that link. I love the little video clip that started at 1:36 in.

1 Like

With the leaked announcement of the 16 voice Waldorf Iridium, a cousin to the Quantum – does anyone else here feel that there could very well also be a Quantum Plus somewhere in the works too ?

I know Waldorf as a corporation is only moderate in size, and they also have their recently announced Kyra as well, but the Iridium really marks a shift in the Quantum line to me.

2 Likes

I already have the Quantum and going to add this Iridium!

1 Like

It will be interesting to see what Waldorf adds for people like you to allow the two to work cooperatively together.

Obviously being able to move patches between them will be important – so perhaps some sort of translation for things that are different – like with the filters.

As for instance it seems to me at the very least you could find some ways to do similar things for the analog filters on the Quantum with the digital filters on the Iridium.

ADDED: No doubt the V 2.0 Firmware has been part of this too.

1 Like

Yes, since firmware 2.0 there is a option to the analog filter section to select between analog or digital.

2 Likes

So in the just out Synth Anatomy video on the Iridium, Rolf talks about the forth coming V 3.0 Quantum release, and also talks about other future developments. The Beta for that will be available in a few days though it is only partial. Part of the reason for this is to move patches back and forth.

But there are also some new secret features for the Quantum in V 3.0 only due later this year.

He makes quite clear this is a family and so one product will not be ignored to develop the other. So this will be good for both products.

ADDED: At 38:13 Rolf says something interesting about firmware development – “and the good thing is, whenever we do a thing like this, which is more of a basic functionality, we do it once, and all the instruments of the platform, currently Quantum and Iridium, will participate from that development.” To me that means there is more to come from this platform.

ADDED FURTHER: So two things going into the Beta V 3.0 are the some new digital filters from the Iridium, and the touch screen version of the Pads, with their four modes.

AND MORE ADDED: They are working on a 16 voice upgrade to the Quantum but because of the analog filters there are some technical challenges that may or may not make this impossible – so Rolf gives no promises for this development.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Truly amazing that Waldorf can’t get it right, it’s not rocket science. The type of buttons aren’t unique, plethora of manufacturer that can implement the same type of buttons without any issues.

Did you get it replaced or fixed ?

My unit was fine, but a lot of people from Gearslutz had those problems. The problem of the keys is due a cable that makes direct contact with the keyboard, and the screen, changing the oldest one for a new version, although some people didn’t need to replace the screen, just with an update was fixed.

As far as I know, the service technical of Waldorf works very well

1 Like

As far as I know, the service technical of Waldorf works very well

Problem is that Waldorf expects its customers to live with whacky buttons on a 2000 euro synth… :nauseated_face:

Got my Quantum Friday and it is exceptionally built. Like a tank. Probably the most well built synth I’ve ever touched.

3 Likes

Has anyone heard anything new about OS update? Especially interested in 16 voice mode, this should be killer!

Don’t count on 16-voice mode:

1 Like

It’s open option. Read this hypothetical post a few months before the Iridium. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=14345013&postcount=11276

6 Likes

Charlie Clouser (film/tv composer, ex Nine Inch Nails) talks about the Quantum with much admiration in his latest interview in tape op magazine

He talks about leaning on acoustic sounds heavily, but using the Quantum to mold them into compelling forms.

That was the beginning of my transition from fancy programming to using sounds that originated in the acoustic world. Whether they’re heavily manipulated and time-stretched, pitch-shifted and granulated in the Waldorf Quantum [synthesizer], or some software tool, their original DNA comes from the real world. To my ears that adds a human quality. When I start with sounds that have an organic sonic DNA, I can go even further with the processing and the manipulation before it becomes something that is distracting to the person watching the movie. There’s life and movement that I didn’t have to draw into the mod wheel strip chart in my DAW.

The Waldorf Quantum is part of that whole chain?

Yeah. The Quantum can do either live processing of the audio coming into its inputs, or I can also put wav files on SD cards and import them. They can be turned into wavetables, or they can be dealt with as a sample source for a granular engine that slices up the audio into little fragments and then distributes them in a cloud. You can create these wonderful synthetic-ish textures that have no sawtooth waveform in them. The Waldorf Quantum is absolutely bonkers. For the money, it’s the king of flexibility and it sounds good all the time compared to the synths that are around today. Obviously there are a lot of amazing synths coming out weekly. The Moog One is a ridiculous triumph of analog engineering, but there’s not one in this room because those aren’t the type of sounds that I typically use. That’s why there’re so many guitar pedals here. That’s one way I can further manipulate sounds that started in the real world…

It was fun to read, because it was during the time he was with NIN in New Orleans (that he speaks about in the interview), recording The Fragile, that I really got into Waldorf synths. I remember the NIN website at the time had 360 degree photos of the different programming rooms each band member had. And Clouser had every high dollar VA synth at the time. I bought my first MWXT during that time.
I wish I could find those old studio images. If anyone knows where to find them, I’d love to see them again. Some hours spent on Internet Archive’s way back machine were unfruitful, last time I looked.

4 Likes