Kyra from Waldorf

Strange marketing indeed
Definition of mainstream is ‘normal or conventional’ and judging from its specs it seems far from a ‘normal or conventional’ synth?
I do like the ‘mainstream price’ reference though :grinning:

2 Likes

The same price range as a Virus TI2 Desktop seems reasonable (~2k €).

1 Like

Pretty cheap according to specs… If so they would sell like hot cakes.

Interview mit Manuel Caballero(the mastermind behind the Valkyrie)

Peter:
What was the idea behind the Valkyrie?

Manuel:
I wanted to build a great synth, it’s something I’ve wanted to do since I was a kid (and that’s a long time ago!). Back in the 80s I build a synth out of 8 Commodore SID chips (I wish I still had it!) and that is where it all began really.

The idea came about when I was talking to some hardware guys I worked with at a previous employer. These guys were deep on FPGAs and we got talking. I had prototyped a few ideas using the tried-and-trusted route of using DSPs (e.g. SHARCs) but really, the performance wasn’t anywhere close to build a synth that would make an impact. From there, Valkyrie, in its current form, was born. I believe a hardware synth has to be able to offer more than virtual instruments, just being ‘hardware’ is not sufficient. Contrary to some of the discussions I see online, Valkyrie’s sound generation and filters really are hardware, they’re not software. Only the control and effects are software. No DSP would get anywhere close – I looked at them all.

Peter:
The Wavetable-Feature reminds me a little bit off the Microwave XT. Is it quite similar?

Manuel:
I’ve not used the XT but there’s that distinctive orange. I know people have mixed views on that colour but I love it. Having said that, nothing is set in stone as to the final retail appearance of Valkyrie – I can change the chassis and panel design to any colour and I will gather feedback at Musikmesse (and the wider online community) as to the best way to proceed in that respect. Physical design is highly subjective – my focus has been the sound and performance of Valkyrie.

Peter:
The new picture is a desktop-version but without the frame it looks like it could be fitted into a 19“ rack, correct?

Manuel:
Yes, spot on. It is designed so that the end panels can be replaced with rack ears. A 19’ format as well as a keyboard model are in development right now.

Peter:
Who is behind EXODUS DIGITAL?

Manuel:
Just me, Manuel Caballero. Valkyrie’s development was supported by a couple of hardware contractors and sound producers.

Peter:
Is this the first music-product of your company?

Manuel:
The company is actually an established digital consultancy in the streaming video space – this is a new development for the company. I have big plans for the platform so watch this space.

Peter:
I’m sure thats a prototype. But when will it come into the shops?

Manuel:
Just as soon as I can get distribution and support deals in place. That should be clearer after Musikmesse.

Peter:
Any idea about the retail-price?

Manuel:
That will depend on the distribution agreements but it will be ‘mainstream’ pricing. It’s definitely not a crazy-price curiosity.

Peter:
Thank you very much for this interview, Manuel.

5 Likes

Picture from the Amazona,de article.

I like all the separate audio outs on the back.

Note that the layout of the front panel is different in this picture – in particular the dials on the lower right of the panel (upper left in this picture.) In the gray front picture there is a control matrix with text and LEDs below the five dials.

The gray photo has only four dials down the right hand side. One or the other is probably just a preliminary version.

3 Likes

Subtraktiv Synthesis with Wavetables
128 Polyphony
Dual Mode Filter
8 independent Parts with 9 FX modules
2 OSCs per voice
waveforms: SAW, Pulse, Noise und Wavetable – gleichzeitig verfügbar
Hard Sync, Ring-Modulation und FM
Hypersaw with 12 OSCs
4096 18-bit linear PCM-single-cycle Samples for Wavetables
2 Wavetables per Voice
3 ADSR
3 LFOs
Modulations-Matrix (6 with 3 targets each)
Arpeggiator with 128 Presets and Chord Mode
Editsoftware for MAC and PC
USB Audio
Keyboard Microtuning

1 Like

FWIW, none of these look much like actual photos, but especially the blue case is clearly a render.

The best quote I have ever heard from a hardware synth developer, and the only time I personally look at hardware these days.
Love his thinking

4 Likes

I think it’s really likely that they will deliver some form of plugin/total integration. It’s basically the rival from the TI series. It would make a lot sens to aim for people who work usually with a DAW too.

1 Like

19’!! That’s huge!! LoL

I’m gonna have to get a new room

“Mainstream” price?

What does that even mean? 0.00493 BieberCoins?

4 Likes

20K likes

2 Likes

For the blue version there was either a color-blind designer at work or someone time wrapped from the 70s. Ugly, as ugly can get …

Absolutely – especially with the size of the screen – i guess 128 x 32 – there is a frame around it in the grey photo (which is more likely the current layout imo) that makes the display look larger. That’s large enough for some detail, but obviously no wave edit or display, plus they don’t associate any controls with the screen.

Plus in the info on the Sound Cloud page they advertise for a:
C++ Developer with ROLI JUCE Framework - to maintain and extend the Librarian/Editor application on Windows and MacOSX.
So that’s the direction. The DAW tools will be important for this, and a big part of a purchase decision.

This isn’t a gripe just observation. The designer had very specific goals with this so they have framed the cost and features clearly. I like it when product creators have very definite ideas about a design, whether i share the same vision or not.

3 Likes

It’s probably great, but those demos did nothing for me at least…

1 Like
1 Like

E48596C3-EB47-4B91-AC95-E8692D895323

Definitely a render

Still sounds so much like a Virus.
Hilarious. Wonder if he has just wrapped one up in a new chassis and display?
Display looks great.
If it is like a TI with updated specs of 96k, 32bit, 32x oversampling etc I reckon I’m in.
Audio quality should be much improved over the TI, much higher fidelity, like a TI with the virtual veil lifted off of the audio.
Has potential for sure

1 Like

I stand corrected.