Waldorf Blofeld Tips & Tricks

What is everyone’s preferred editor for Mac?

I’m using a very simple, free Windows one under Wine.

GOFTER (pronouned: “ge-oh-ef-te-eh-er”) is a MacOS X system exclusive messages based sound editor for Waldorf’s Blofeld Synthesizer.

5 Likes

In regards to multimode, if you were for example to set a comb filter with unisono=3, you will be hard pressed to get 4 notes polyphony over the entire synth.

If you are using simple 1 oscillator patches with standard filters and minimal mod matrix,
i am sure you could populate all sixteen midi channels.

But for complex sounds and programming, you are best to follow the 1 Blofeld per midi channel guideline.

4 Likes

There’s a cheaper Mac/Win editor available here
http://www.filthyfilterz.com/
with the added bonus of dirty patch names :smiley: - but it needs Java 6 to work.

There’s a nice touch screen editor available on tablets via the Lemur app:

https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/566/
with nice Star Trek-like GUI!
it’s potentially a hassle to set up but might be worth it if you tire of menu diving.

I love the Blofeld… Waldorf’s synths have always been killer. If Elektron used the Waldorf synth engines their machines would be MEGA-awesome (sorry Elektron but your filters always sound a bit “small”).
It has some quirks that often produce great results (or leave you scratching your head) , and the envelopes are super tight. I still have not delved into the depths and have no idea what those logical modifiers can do.
Anyone who would say “it’s digital so cannot be as fat as analogue” really needs to check it out…

Tip: blofeld is terrible
Trick: sell it to me for 400 bucks
:wink:

not sure if it was mentioned before: check the youtube channel “Synthesizer Video Service”.
lot´s of very useful information about the Blofeld, not only for beginners.

2 Likes

Yes, he has a very good channel!

1 Like

Great! I also found that negative Amount numbers also work with longer attack - big range of results!
Thanks

in 2020 I use my waldorf blofeld, as if it were a PPG wave and experimental sound laboratory, several wavetable editors and for samples like recycle 2.0 I use to make slices of samples to have them on my keyboard and generate ambient sounds, very elegant and of great stereo. I’m happy to have this very interesting machine, I use a software called jamm pro (created by matt black from cold cut ninja tune)

This app is a looper arranger capable of generating stems for each sample handled in an improvised arrangement, in short, I record loops played by waldorf blofeld in an improvised way, then I fix some parameters and start to compose a song, of house, break beat, techno uk garage , trip-hop or IDM.

This really is cool and endless just with the ipad and using my waldorf blofeld keyboard. waldorf blofeld for me is a unique tool on the market, as it is the most customizable synthesizer. allows me to create my samples and modulate them with its digital synthesis engine, with its 2 large comb filters, PPG, BP / LP / HP, the only waldorf machine that has 2 duplicable filters with 13 distortion curves for the filter character .

I can use 3 Osc + 3 LFO/Osc = 6 oscillators, the reason is that the 3 LFOs can sound subtractively at the level of the audio generating source, the a synthesizer that can handle 16 samples for multilayer sounds, mutisamples, multipresets, due to its condition of being multitimbral of 16 parts. The 16 modulations of the matrix are a total of 20 because it has 4 modifiers that modulate modulations in an esoteric way.

If to all this we add that it has a way of making random sounds, arpeggiator that can be used as an editable polyphonic step sequencer for chords and chromatic notes, poly aftertouch, 25 voices of polyphony 16 bit 48 khz’s of sound quality, no longer you could look for something similar in the market.

Really satisfied with this machine that despite having a devil DSP offers all the sounds of electronic music, classic sounds of moog, sequential, roland, korg, yamaha, PPG wave … they can be emulated with great precision and you are not left alone In that, you can go much further because you can always mold any modern or past sample in this great machine.

6 Likes

@daddyjeff
Nice writing.
Just got myself a Blofeld (desktop) after years of pondering.
Was always on my radar but as stated previously, always thought that it’s matrix was complicated…
Well I just found out is not what I thought of it.
I am delighted to be honest :slight_smile:
Got it for 260€, encoders working perfectly and in mint state.
Your post just made me realize that this machine is TIMELESS.
Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:
V

3 Likes

Yes, this machine is eternal, it does everything you want it to do, the bad thing is that if you don’t know how to make sounds from the ground up, you won’t enjoy everything this machine can offer.

It is a demanding machine to design sounds, it is not the best option for live shows, it is more a product to play and work music in your studio.

mike huckaby is clear about how great waldorf blofeld is.

2 Likes

Ah Mike, :cry: I sure do miss that guy.

1 Like

Love my Blofeld. Only just scratching the surface. Still a bit bewildered by it tbh.

Staggered by what you get for the money. It’s unbelievable.

I always have the feeling mine needs an Analog Heat and a good reverb - has anybody done that (with an AH)?

Hi! Is there midi cc messages for Matrix Source, Destination and Amount?
Thanks a lot!

Nope. Try sysex instead.

1 Like

here is an editor for ableton ( maxforlive).

and a little feature overview

…still need finish some updates

Anybody have tips on how to create crunchy bass sounds?

I am almost tempted to do a few more tutorials for the Blofeld, not having done one on Youtube since early 2018.

5 Likes