Volume issue with the Digitakt

Hello everyone,

I’ve recently bough a Digitakt and I already have a tiny problem. I’m using my digitakt with headphones, directly through the headphones output. I though it would be okay for the time being but in fact the sounds are crushed when I want to turn up my volume (master, samples level, effects level). It’s only when the volume is very low that I can here the real sound of the samples, and it’s the same for low sounds (like bass) and high sounds (like HighHats).
I’ve noticed the problem when seing tutorial videos on youtube and that the person is playing with the factory sounds, mine are not as clear.
It is my first time with elektron, I might be doing something wrong.
Can you help me please ? :sweat_smile:
I’m french, sorry for bad mistakes with my english :slight_smile:

Tu as une garantie ? Parce que ce n’est pas du tout normal…

1 Like

I suggest to go to elektron.se, register yourself and file a ticket.

3 Likes

Your english is great!

There are a few things:

1. Make sure you are not recording your samples too loud/too soft. You might be losing information. Its easier to hear it when its loud.

2. Make sure the issue isn’t with your sample source. What are you recording from? It might be as simple as making sure it is electrically grounded.

3. It could very well be a faulty output amplifier circuit so talking to Elektron might not be a bad idea.

If you posted some audio (raw as well as through the Digitakt) we might be able to give you a clearer answer.

2 Likes

I am just a big digitakt man, with worse english!
I think, if is also with factory samples, (and all volumes are up), think you must have faulty one.
You must get a ticket.

Also please post a sound. (not for help, just to hear!).
Hope you get fixed, is a great machine.

2 Likes

I had a similar issue with my DT. It’s outputs are just really hot, imo. Also, if you’re on version 1.08 make sure your master compressor is set all the way to dry. That compressor certainly can crush sounds and make them distort.

Hi every one, thank you for your answers ! I will take a ticket, but first I will try to see with the master compressor as @DataStrain suggested me :slight_smile:
Highways, the sample I was trying on are the factory samples, so I suppose the record is just done perfectly by elektron them self.
@YoniDen Unfortunately I don’t have any record devices (microphone)

Just create a new project, that will reset everyting, leaving you with only factory sounds and settings

doesn’t change anything :confused:
I’ve done a ticket to elektron, waiting their respond

2 Likes

Hi, any news about your problem?

I think I have the same problem. At first I though it was a misuse of mine as I was a beginner, but now, as I recently needed to rise up the volume, I’m pretty sure it’s not.
Even on factory patterns, sound gets distorded/crushed when volume above 40%-65% (depending on the samples played).

(Master compressor is out of the question as I first noticed this issue before it was implemented)

Anyone else had this issue ?

Like with the original post, to me it sounds like a faulty unit. The output should not overdrive at 65% of volume.

Yeah it sound like it. :confused:
The sound is altered on both headphone and L-R outputs, and having performed a factory reset didn’t changed anything.
For the curious ones, here is a recording of factory patterns with volume up from 20% to 100% : https://www.dropbox.com/s/5okaieio81nx0e0/PresetsPatterns_LRoutputs.WAV?dl=0

EDIT: Here we go, I’ll send the DT to :3lektron: for repair

Found this thread just having opened my digitakt about 10 minutes ago. There are spots on the volume knob where I lose audio completely. If I turn the volume all the way up it will go quiet and then I need to ease it back to about 80% until I hear anything (and this is the loudest it will go).

Same here, is it a faulty device?

I had this exact problem… Too quiet and sounded like garbage if turned up passed about 70%. Turned out to be a lousy connection between my headphone cable and the plug buggerer, whatever that 1/8 to 1/4 converter is called. Twisting that around a bit fixed the problem. I probably need a new one of those connectors.

Not wanting to start a new thread I was wondering if these two adaptors are in fact different. I lost my trusty headphone adaptor (and just found it pictured also) to use with some crappy cans and found two of the type on the top in the photo both of which produced trash garbled sound and fit in more snugly than the other ones. Are these in fact different sort of adaptors? The ones that didn’t work properly on my DT sounds fine on my Cobalt8 so I’m a bit confused…