Volca Sample vs. the World

Regret selling mine, made me productive and sounds awesome. I want it back. There is a volca sample V2 but dont know if it holds up against the V1 with the ‘hacked’ firmware. Either way i’m going to get one of the two soon.

1 Like

Between my ITB sessions with Maschine, had a sudden urge to play with my VS. Put the Pajen FW in it, and… OMG, so dope! Chance (kinda) and bar filters are game changers… And I haven’t even plugged my Keystep in to test it in depth.

Edit: had forgotten about the high pitched whine tho…

Hey, I managed to finally sort the high pitched whine issue. It turns out that it’s from ground loop, I bought a ground loop isolator like this one:

I got that exact one for both of my volca samples and the whine is like 99% gone, if I turn up the mixer channel and my headphones to the point where the noisefloor is pretty loud, I can hear it a little but never otherwise. I love distorting things with my mixer by overdriving the channels, this used to be impossible for me with the volcas because that whine would become unbearable but now I’m able to distort it to my hearts content :slight_smile:

Atleast, I assume this is what the problem is for anyone else who has this same issue, I spent ages trying to figure out what the issue was to hopefully fix it but found that it was only some people who had the issue, others were getting perfect silence from their units. I found this page:

Which seemed to suggest that it was a groundloop issue which was true for me.

Anyway… I love the Volca Sample especially now with Pajens firmware on it. I made an editor for it in Architect and with all the things that Pajen added, it’s incredible what’s possible with it for such a cheap device, I got my 2nd one for £70! They have a really nice warm sound to them too!

4 Likes

What cable are you using to connect the Volca to your mixer/interface?

1 Like

Headphones straight from the out! And I use batteries.

Volca Sample + Beatstep Pro + Analog Heat = what I’ve always wanted from a vintage Akai sampler

Seriously, this combination is so fun to jam on. Anyone else using these three pieces of gear in combination? I’ve basically had my AH strapped to the outputs of the Volca Sample since getting it, and wow, does it make that little box sound good. Could just listen to house loops play on it all day. Actually kind of have been…

2 Likes

I actually am starting to think this is one of the punchiest modern samplers. Punchier than DT. Sounds much more like vintage samplers than any other modern sampler I think.

2 Likes

i miss sorta miss mine … does anyone know where i can find the original/factory samples?

I agree with this. Sometimes, I consider getting one again. It has a very special vibe to it.

The AudioPocket app has them

I downloaded them here. Don’t know if they have the original pitch/sample rate.
https://www.reddit.com/r/volcas/comments/hzjuio/anyone_have_the_stock_factory_sample_set_for_a/

2 Likes