Virtual Pub

Anyone else tried an online catch up with regular physical friends (who you usually see at the pub) on a video chat that you’ve never done before?

Did it tonight, a first for me. Was great fun. We all thought it might be crap compared to hanging off a barstool at the local, but actually was (nearly) just as good as ever.

With the unknown timeline, we’ll do it again

5 Likes

Sounds like a great time and idea, tough times bring out such creativity. Love it!

Me and my family did a video group call to play Catan. We each had laptops with cameras on so we could see each other, and I set up a mic stand with a selfie stick to get a live feed of the board on our end while they set up identical boards.

Aside from some extra explaining and resource card limit issues, it worked out really well.

5 Likes

that somehow reminds me of one relatively popular ex-USSR divertissement of drinking via IRC (with mandatory toasts ofc).

1 Like

Managed to get a totally authentic hangover too

6 Likes

Yeah we did it on Friday night was good to see everyone and have a bit of a laugh.
Also gits rid of the shame of drinking by yourself haha! Think were also going to make it a regular thing it’s a great distraction technique.

I’ve always had a irrational fear of talking on the telephone, video calling even more so.
I can’t think of anything worse than a group video chat.
My friends all think I’m a wanker anyway.

4 Likes

Totally the same. Strange times make for strange measures. Having a table full of beer beside you helps :star_struck:

Why not Virtual Club ?

https://clubquarantaene.stream/line

Be careful you might get stuck at the entrance haha

Aye, I’ve been at t’ virtual pub the last two nights. Friday was just me a my usual drinking buddy having a very real and meaningful consideration of the important aspects in life - the joys of midi sequencing from Elektron boxes, Kelvgrand’s entirely amazing Modley delay delay plugin, a wider consideration of delay plugins, the lack of football and such like… Then last night I joined a session with my partner and a bunch of her pals from across the country. It was fun too and I even got a laugh from my favourite Jeremy Beadle joke…

I’d agree, in these tricky times it’s a pretty good alternative and something to manage the cabin fever…

1 Like

it’ll be interesting how after all this is over, how it will change society and social behaviour.
I’d have never considered or wanted to do a video group hangout. total cringe fest. but now; once you’ve done it, it ain’t so bad.

Me and my group of friends have started doing this, and it’s been a great laugh. Normally I hate video calls and find it super cringe but it was amazing just to have a conversation and take the piss a bit, drink and talk music.

It’s something we should get used to as at least in the UK, we’re gonna be indoors for a while…

I downloaded google duo to keep in touch with family. I found it really great, even more that other people dont have to download it for it working. It catch your contact in your phone and is as easy to use than a classic call. Works seamlessly with ios and android, phone or tablet.You can too do groups up to 12 contact. Just finished a video chat with parents and brother, being myself with grandma. Quit emotional and useful thing. First for me too, but i started it two days ago.

drinking with fiends via skype or other videochats is not new for me — i do it occasionally since 2007.
but at the times like this i love the idea.

…might be worth mentioning this one (again :stuck_out_tongue: ) Elektron IRC!

1 Like

Yes… we fun folk :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll be doing this for the first time with my workmates in a few hours.

Our end-of-sprint tradition used to be going over the road to an excellent tiki bar to retro and unwind. Some aren’t drinkers but they enjoy the banter as much as the rest.

We’re a small business and we all enjoy each other’s company so self isolation has been a difficult adjustment for some.

I hope this sesh feels like a reasonable stand-in as everything (reputable) that I read suggests our confinement is going to last for at least 6 months. I suspect, like any friendship, making a regular effort - no matter how small - is what counts.

I’ll let you guys know how it went. Stay well.