Vintage reliability?

That’s a great list. I would check around but I seem to recall reading the old SEM based synths required heavier maintenance to keep them going. Please, any owners correct me if I am wrong though. The CS-10 should be bullet proof.

1 Like

Screw it. I am buying a vintage synth. If it breaks and cannot be fixed, so be it. I just want to enjoy it.

Help me pick: CS-10 or MS-10? It’s a tough choice. I have had my eye on both for years. I don’t know why, but I have always preferred their sounds to the CS-15/30 and MS-20.

EDIT: I am going with the CS-10 for the 3 filter modes, mixer section, and second envelope.

1 Like

How are you liking that CS-10?

Yes this. I’m finding the new stuff super unreliable. Jacks going bad, stuff breaking off, etc… 8 out of 10 units I buy new I have to send back to get a replacement or it develops issues within the first year. Meanwhile my 30 to 40 year old synths or samplers, if they start having issues, it’s easily fixed by cleaning some contacts, replacing a switch or a capacitor. The only things I am having troubles with to fix are floppy drives, zip drives and anything that has a tape like cassette players

2 Likes

The few synths I own from the '70s have needed less maintenance than the ones I own from the '80s-'00s. I know that isn’t the case for everyone and all instruments but it has been my experience.