Very basic question

Hey all,
I have been thinking about getting an Octatrack mk1 but I have had difficulty finding the answer to a particular question:
Is one able to treat each Track as a machine that can sequence and play many different samples (e.g. 1 drum for each of the 16 sequencer buttons as on the MD) ? Thats the one thing i’ve wondered about-like it appears that one could achieve multiple drum sounds by slicing a sample but i just want to know if you can load in lots of samples to be sequenced by each track.

Thanks!

Parts and Sample p-lock :slight_smile:

3 Likes

64 samples per track max (1 sample lock per step), and 64 slices per samples.
64x64=4096 max per track. Enough? :content:

128 slots for FLEX machines (RAM, 85.5MB)
128 slots forbSTATIC machines (CF card streaming, 2GB files max)

3 Likes

For more on sample locks for MKi, it’s at the bottom of p67 of the MKi manual:

2 Likes

thanks!! this is really helpful I appreciate it-finally I’m just wondering if you can record (for a sequence) the loaded-in samples in real time like on the digitakt/md? And if so what would the setup be?

1 Like

I know you can play the slices of a sliced sample (such as a drum loop) in real time. You can also play the default sample of each of the 8 tracks in real time. But sample locks is more of a manual process in grid record mode afaik. @sezare56 will have the full answer tho :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, you can use ‘slots mode’ to record in multiple samples on a single track in real time.

4 Likes

Definitely look into making your own sample chains (see https://ticticelectro.com/2017/08/26/octachainer-v1-3/). You can use slices to get more sounds per track but even better use them to have 128 kicks/snares/etc. on hand and then scroll through them quickly with the slice select knob (you can also use the arrows to quickly audition samples on the sample select page but I prefer chains for one-shots).

2 Likes