Venting : someone stole one of my sample pack to sell it as his own

Interesting! I have another one:
Is it legally ok to sample a very rare aphex twin record because he doesn’t make any money from it anymore? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sample pack or track making?

1 Like

That when I decided to do this one and the one about the Minilogue XD for MPCs, Ableton etc.

I thought I would like to try the sound of some synths and buying a cheap pack for many machine would be the way. I did record the machine and put it out for cheap AND I released free samples.

I didnt do it for free because that took me a lot of time and I wanted some incentive to release more products.

At the end : ITS THE PRODUCT THAT 100% ORIGINAL THAT I MOSTLY SELL. (digitone preset packs mostly)

What I thought was : ffs there are so many packs of 808 and 909 out there and presets are not copyrighted. Let’s put it out and see, if I got negative feedback I will take the L and just focus on something else (which I did without the negative backlash)

Some people told me I was lazy, some other were loving the initiative. Most didnt care.

I had others projects of putting out other synths samples from factory presets as instruments for MPCs, Ableton, SFZ and Deluge but it’s not worth it tbf. So I may never release them even if I already recorded them.

3 Likes

Very honest of you to say that here. I wonder if the guy who sold your samples thought something similar before he did it. And now he put it down. So maybe it’s time to forgive him.? Idk. Just an idea. Yes, he did it in a shady way. Asked if you want to work with him and then sold your stuff behind your back. But he probably made not a lot of money with it and hopefully learned his lesson.

1 Like

The difference is that he, allegedly, stole his effort.

Which is a vital difference

4 Likes

btw this has been also discussed here:

imo there’s no prohibition from Elektron to sell the sampled presets, so if someone samples his synth it should be ok and people can pay the person for sampling the synth…

1 Like

How chould it be ok to profit from something somebody else has created, without asking them, and without sharing the profit?

If you give it away for free, or maybe just get compensation for your actual cost distributing that is another thing. Still not legal in most jurisdictions.

I don’t know of any jurisdiction where the owner of the copyright forfeits that copyright when they fail to make their works available to the public. That is not how copyright works.

2 Likes

that is seriously messed up! I create my own music and give credit if use other work.

1 Like

Yes that’s what I thought. But his sketchiness is still weird and I have many doubts about many of his others products.

At the end, he sent ONE message about it and will not tell me how many sales he did (the fact that he sold it for 9euros when I sold it for 5euros is quite piss taking in some ways, because he might have sold a dozen of it, who knows).

AND he might have used most of the one I did myself…

He is being dodgy. I would have taken that more lightly if his apology was a bit more human. But this message of him bummed me a bit.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s many hours ffs.

Yes, i know. He definitely was wrong and should be ashamed for it. But what else is there to achieve? Should he pay a penalty? Maybe. But he already proved that he does stuff which isn’t cool. And over here he’s known as the bad guy now.
I wonder if we’ll get another response from him here.

The concept is to be paid for the effort being put in.

What is if was a private venture? Someone said, “hey, you’ve got a MDUW+, I really liked those sounds from the free pack demos. Could I pay you to make wav files for me?”

I dont think he will add anything, he apologised and took off the thing from his website because RMR mailed him, firmly saying that he would raise hell if his videos were associated to a stolen product.

If he was a good person he would have mailed me DIRECTLY, not RMR or this forum. And would have had provided explanations… but rather than that he had me blocked on Facebook/Messenger before the release of the product.

So he is not a good guy in my book and he is unable tio redeem himself at least with written words. I was a lot more careless about it before his message here…

7 Likes

To raise awareness so his, alleged, methodology doesn’t screw other people over

2 Likes

Hmm…
Ive purchased things from this website. An OT skin that im pretty fond of and a few sample packs. Ive never used them, but now that there is this spicy hint of nefarious intent i just might have to pull them out and throw them in the mix, give my music that je ne sais quois (forgive my butchered french spelling if i did so), that… criminal element.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Yeah, it would also be good to find out if he’s the only guy behind the website and if other people who work with him know about what’s going on.

1 Like

Based on their social media following, I would guess there’s not enough traffic for it to be more that a one person operation

You mean they’d sell their work for recording it to one person, not put up their samples for sale? I guess that’s fair (ethically).

From a legal perspective, you can’t copyright a sound, copyright applies to the recording made from that sound. And when somebody plays a sample somebody else created, and creates another recording from that, that’s a violation of copyright laws.

1 Like

We’re talking exclusively ethics, in which case I can’t get a read of your position