Vector - Digital hardware synth

Cool no worries. Seems like the Virus is still the king of polyphony and multi timbral synths. This synth still looks like fun!

Seems like it would be a unique addition in terms of sound design. I’m already “full up” on subtractive, FM synths, wavetable, samplers, etc but I’ve got nothing like this…

1 Like

@rennweg Is there a user / support forum for the Vector? I couldn’t find one listed on their site.

Great, have not watched it to the end where he mentions it, this thing gets better and better. Thanks for the find.

Not sure if a forum exists, never really looked for one, but I guess not… Overall support through email is great though.

That was my reason as well, wanted a completely different, fun take to create soundscapes without thinking the conventional way you do on most gear. It always surprises you, pretty easy to get lost :desert_island:, especially when adding my Meris LVX.

There is a discord page

1 Like

Thanks!

I have a Discord account but admit I don’t use it much. Is there a group name I should search for or link you can provide?

1 Like

Many thanks!

There is user called Andre on there, he sounds like one of the developers, and is extremely helpful with any issues or questions.

So I couldn’t resist and purchased a Vector synth. It’s a blast and definitely very different than other instruments I currently own. Build quality is very good and the developer (Andre) is quite responsive to questions and suggestions for usability improvements posted to discord.

So far I’ve mostly been making pad sounds as it’s awesome for evolving soundscapes, but yesterday I started to push it into really interesting rhythmic percussive territory.

I must admit the overtone blending and filter matrix part of the sound shaping is pretty complex and I haven’t made any deep attempts to come to grips with them. However the randomize tools are surprisingly effective at generating usable starting points and so far I’ve been satisfied with that plus further refinement.

My next exploratory steps are to further play with the MPE integration, inspired by the recent Loopop video demonstrating playing the Vector with the Osmose. I’ve got a Linnstrument on hand that I’ll be using in this regard.

4 Likes

That Loopop video is in this post in the Osmose thread.

Loopop had to pull some tricks to more fully integrate the Osmose’s MPE output with the Vector synth, but it turned out pretty well, thanks in part to the flexibility in the VS. Certainly these two together creates a nice sounding and expressive combination.

I suppose the same will apply with Linnstrument as controller as well.

2 Likes

I’d I had lots of money I’d buy
Vector synth
Waldorf m
Udo6 desktop (whatever it’s called )

I think it’s the swirly graphics on the vector that I like , I’m easily impressed.

3 Likes

Yes, the orbiter is hypnotic. You can also add suborbitals and complex LFO paths to the orbits which makes it even more entrancing!

1 Like

I need to order one of these again just in case he stops making them!

Has anyone tested Vector’s MPE capabilities yet?

Cheers!

Basic MPE works fine. But I was pushing the limits today with very high rates of MPE data flowing to the Vector and that revealed some bugs. If you join the discord group (link a few messages above) you can see the ongoing thread in the Support forum about this.

1 Like

What country are you in, if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve been eyeing these for a while and didn’t know how well it would go to order from the US. If you happen to be in the US, I’d love to hear about your ordering experience

I’m in the US (southeast) as well. It came very quickly via FedEx. I ordered on a Sat, it shipped on Mon, and I had it in hand on Wed. That’s quicker than many things I order from Perfect Circuit in CA.

I didn’t get charged import duty, but can’t guarantee your experience will be the same…

1 Like

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. That’s all I needed to hear.

Unfortunately, there seems to be A LOT of hardware synths, on the market currently, that almost handle MPE correctly. To that end, I guess I’ll be sticking with the Argon8M. It’s a great synth, and Modal got the MPE implementation right, straight out of the gate.

Honestly, it’s the host port on Vector that I was most interested in anyway; as the LinnStrument/Argon alliance requires a third-party MIDI host, and that’s a hassle.

Cheers!

1 Like

Interestingly, I can generate the MPE issues using the Linnstrument but NOT with the Seaboard RISE 25 I have. But I think I’m actually generating more simultaneous MPE data on the Linnstrument than on the Seaboard so that might be the issue.

As I noted, Andre the main developer of Vector, is actively engaged on discord trying to help sort this issue out.

1 Like