Valhalla Delay in a pedal format

OT is extremely cool for this type of things, I haven’t got it and probably will not get one anytime soon, always thought it’s too complex for my basic needs, and I already know and use Ableton very well, but yeah OT is amazing, and as far as I understand with 8 tracks it’s possible to capture some loops in a real time, sequence it on other tracks, than add some “algorithmic” / “generative” sampling and sequencing capturing the master out… It’s really crazy… And there’s no need in 10000 sounds, it’s possible to create really interesting textures and compositions out of just 1 or 2 samples, or basic mono synth or field recording…

Maybe they’ll release something like OT3 or whatever later so I could jump into this train… but ok it’s already off topic : )

I really like this kind of technique, it’s really meditative, you don’t need to push yourself into menus and options and stuff… Just relax, listen to what happening and interact with the flow of the texture. So the tool should be basic and simple, “closed eyes operation ready”.

Yeah Rose is quite close to “that kind of thing” I guess. Want to check it in person. It is simple, and that’s cool. What I discovered is that the real sonic complexity and truly amazing and interesting things are often easier to achieve with the most basic tools and interfaces, that’s the magic of instrument design.

With those things it’s really hard to tell if it will work or not just by looking on the specs, I thought Strymon Timeline / El Capistan will be perfect, but after trying it in store I gave up after 5 mins - yeah they can do this trick, but really “gently” without surprises and options to break the loop insanely, and also control isn’t 100% transparent.

At the same time I found old used Pigtronix Echolution at the same store and decided to give it a try without too much hopes, I could stop playing with it only after 2 hours and only because the guy came and told they were closing… Really inspiring toy and it gives really unexpected results. And the fun starts when you modulate the time by the amount which gives “musical” intervals, like sequences… Immediately stimulates imagination. Thinking maybe to get one…

In euro - yeah > 4ms looping delay, EURO DDL, Strymon Magneto, Morphagene and Mimeophone, Arbhar and Lubadh… all super cool! Let’s rob the bank and get all that stuff : ) But there’s some kind of magic in guitar pedals, like it’s simple, usually not too expensive, made like tank so it’s easier to build “instrument alike” relationships with pedal, at least for me…

1 Like

I forgot to mention the T.C. Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay.

Feedback right at 100 (or above) will delay for all of eternity without going crazy into out of control feedback.

The color knob smoothly transforms between Clean through Analog to Tape. The less clean it is the faster it degrades over the endless loop.

It also has an interesting way of controlling delay time where if you set the knob past 0 it increases or decreases automatically. Changing the delay time will affect the feedback loop too. Might be exactly what you’re looking for.

Not sure why I forget to mention it? Maybe because it’s one of those not so blingy sleeper FX nobody seems to care too much about.

I really need to get a second one. I’ve been listening to a loop degrade as I wrote this whole post. Made me think of this thread when I was using it.

4 Likes

check the new UAFX Pedals. seems to be awesome.

Thanks will give it a try! Nice specs and I like the design. Unfortunately relatively short max delay time - about 2.5secs, but still something…

And yeah, I was looking right this type of things, like “no-one cares about anymore”.

1 Like

Yeah I played with them all… And Echo Station… What can I say - they sound beautiful, really hi end, but delay is short and the mod options are quite limited. They definitely not for experiments, more for those who need nice traditional sound.

1 Like

The design just feels like it was meant to be “played”. Setting the delay time to speed up or slow down while you tweak other knobs can lead to some interesting things happening in the delay line. The whole thing is very controlled but sounds very organic at the same time (IMO).

It’s hard to find anything with excessive delay times before the first “tap” (10 seconds or more?). Feedback can be endless, obviously, but if you find something that checks all your boxes I’d be interested in hearing about what it was in the end.

1 Like

Blackbox? As a starting point (and no LFO), but can run multiple loops and you can manually start/stop, change pitch, direction and a few other parameters you probably already know about. Go out into two MXR Carbon Copy pedals in series for the ultimate in real-time BBD tweaking character.

1 Like

It’s an expensive solution but monome norns is probably the best thing you will find if I am understanding what you’re really looking for. With a grid and arc (which, yeah, more money) it is an impossibly intuitive tactile experience.

In particular, check out the scripts oooooo and Cranes.

I usually use Norns for looping but if not, I run a network of Valhalla delays in return tracks on Ableton, sending loops back and forth to each other and playing fx with push or a midi controller. Set up some fx racks, assign some macros, start throwing loops around.

3 Likes

I’ve had most boutique pedals my guess is you would be better served by non-expensive options.
Try an EQ dispatch master as single or grab a double delay or delay and reverb pedal like a boss dd, & TC electronic hall of fame

These kinds of pedals can do the bulk of what you seem to be looking for otherwise unless you know exactly what you want it’s going to cost you to experiment with the right boutique pedal

Meris is imho the absolute best unless you’ve got euro, then magneto is amazing.

Nice… what’s what I also do with my Eventides, computer and other delay pedals - making a network when one is feeded to another with aux sends with relatively short feedbacks, so it won’t grow and oscilate, also good to have some pitch shifters here and there…

It’s quite good for Frippetronix kind of technique (looping method invented by Robert Fripp with tape machines and developed further in 90 with multi Eventide units ). Like you play one note and it’s immediately became a slowly degrading sonic “bubble” or “flower”, and you start adding elements to build a beautiful “alive” wall of sound.

1 Like

At the end, I managed to get and keep Eventide UltraTap for strange “non delay delays”, Chase Bliss Thermae for long lo fi pitch sequenced analog delays and Printronix Echolution Deluxe for looping 12 sec delays…

And I’ve heard there’s something coming around the end of the year in a pedal format…

2 Likes

Seems feasible since there’s Valhalla code on eurorack hardware already.

Not Valhalla, but seems like modern day reissue of Lexicon PCM42 delay…
at least I’ve heard the rumor…

1 Like

Ah, okay, I thought you were hinting at Valhalla because of the thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[quote=“Tajnost, post:35, topic:152667”]
t Valhalla, but seems like modern day reissue of Lexicon PCM42 delay…
at least I’ve heard the rumor…
[/quot]

no : )
just re-read the topic and decided to reply…

However those 3 delays in my opinion are quite replace that Valhalla Delay experience, so partly it’s an answer - yes pedals can do that…

and Valhalla by the way haven’t replied to my letter with questions if such a plan to make hardware delay ever existed or if there’s anything similar by their knowledge…

I went through a similar thing to this recently and I have owned and sold a few hardware stereo delays including the Echolution 2.
I narrowed my list down,
Source Audio Collider
Meris Polymoon
Earthquaker Avalanche Run v2
Walrus Audio Mako D1

I’d never bothered with Valhalla Delay and decided to demo it and I purchased it after 15 mins.
I won’t be getting a hardware delay again although the only one I do really miss is my Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai.

1 Like

well, each thing works better in different cases and for different tasks…

pedals are super useful for guitars (obviously : ) and gigs and integrating it into playing…

That analog pitch delay in Thermae just can’t be underrated, and I doubt anything digital will offer same sound and experience… Also I discovered another fine analog delay -JAM Delay Llama Extreme… Would love to have a copy later : ) sounds very unique…

Another thing I discovered is Catalinbread Echorec - emulation of Binson ECHOREC drum echo - sounds amazing on synths, for dream pop / pads …

One of the things I was lookin for is longer delay time (+10sec)… something one won’t find in a regular box…

1 Like

I would just like their actual FreqEcho in a pedal :slight_smile:

1 Like