+UW when not performing live?

im on the market for a machine drum mainly to just use through Ableton, would I need the +UW version to add extra samples? im really just after the sound/soul of the MD mkii, im thinking the +UW would be overkill as I would still use drum sounds within Ableton and I don’t perform live

+UW gives you all of the cool resampling tricks plus multiple snapshots (like projects or sets) so that’s another reason to go for it.

3 Likes

Thanks, didn’t know that, the +UW seem to be twice the price will need to decide if it’s worth it to me

Perhaps a Mark 1 if it’s in good condition? UW or not - it has the same synth engines.

1 Like

+drive is definitely handy if you’re gonna do a lot of work on it. Though I worked on a mk1 without +drive for 15 years before moving to a +drive mk2, so it’s not a necessity.

UW is up to your taste. Do you want (very limited memory for) gritty samples and realtime re-sampling tricks? If so, get it.

1 Like

As you got an Avalon you definitely should sample an resample and resample and… You get the idea.

1 Like

I would like to add in regards to the sampling, reading on another post here, I feel I should mention I already have a mkii RYTM?

I don’t have a rytm anymore. But iirc the real time sampling is only possible on the MD not rytm

1 Like

That’s correct. And with OT, of course.

Some things to consider between MKI (unbalanced) and MKIi is (balanced) signal to noise ratio on the MKI is 91db. MKII is 100db

Happy tweaking