Using the new midi out to control external gear

Hi there, I have been waiting to update my A4 MK2 for the moment and wanted to ask about the new midi control.

Do you set one of the 4 tracks to control the external synth?
Do you get to use the mini keyboard to control this external synth?
Does the sequencer on this track act exactly like on a regular internal track?

Thanks in advance folks.

Have a creative evening/day.

Alec

Yes, or FX / CV tracks

Do you get to use the mini keyboard to control this external synth?

Yes, the keyboard sends notes on the midi channel for the currently selected track.

Does the sequencer on this track act exactly like on a regular internal track?

As far as I can tell ( basics like recording, quantizing etc ) yes.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the quick response.

Not exactly exactly

There’s no following of Oscillator pitch variation/ locking, the note sequencing mirrors the sequencer Note value (derived only via key track) - a subtle difference worth remembering

Also there’s no Arpeggio MIDI output

No note slides

If you have overlapping notes the MIDI notes may respond differently if the attached device is polyphonic

3 Likes

All important gotchas especially if what you want to do is stack the external synth with an A4 voice.

Personally what I want to do is use tracks 5 & 6 as extra polyphonic sequencer tracks for live jams, so these limitations are less of an issue.

Conditional trigs also works over Midi.

1 Like

Dang no arpeggio MIDI output!

I miss the ease of use with the Monomachine’s arp and midi.

Transpose and maj/min scales work too.

1 Like

Thanks everyone.

Hello…! (:

I would like to use FX-tracks mini keys to control other gear through midi(i want to play vst-synth in fruity loops). But it seems that if i set the autochannel right then every tracks(1-6) mini keys starts to control trough midi. But i only want to use fx-track for it. Maybe i’m doing something wrong?

1 Like

If you want to use Fx track midi channel : Global > Midi Config > Midi Ports > Output Channel to Track Channel (TRK CH).
(Defines if keyboard and knobs uses Auto Channel or Track Channel).

2 Likes

I use the AK and i have problems to use the keyboard live in the sequencer it works fine.
what am i doing wrong?

Answered here already - please don’t cross-post (this was probably the right thread though)