Using the crossfader to pitch while changing pattern+part goes awry

Hey again, new OT user here,

So I understand pitch can be a tricky parameter in a number of cases, but I don’t understand why it doesn’t consistently work here.

I’m going from pattern A1 (part 1) to pattern A2 (part2).

T1 is a PICKUP on part 1, and a FLEX with a sample on part 2, with its pitch plocked (+12) on a scene. Everything going smoothly so far.

But if I’m going too crazy on the crossfader, the sample doesn’t launch when going from A1 to A2. Trigs are fine but the playhead isn’t moving in AED. Stop-stop-start doesn’t even fix it, I need to switch patterns a few times to get it to work again.

On the other hand, if I’m just switching parts within the same pattern, it consistently works even when going wild on the crossfader. But I need to change parts with patterns to make it convenient.

Any clues ?

Do you need a Pickup for overdub?

Yes, I like pickups at the moment, I know there’s a workaround with flex machines, but what are you implying ? That pickup machines have issues ?

Part changes with Pickups may have issues, as they don’t have trigs (parts changes normally require trigs to be effective). It could be an explanation.

I avoid part changes in a song in general.

I don’t like Pickups for different reasons (Timestretch allways on, Aborted Overdub, Tempo change with wrong recording length, no trigs to mangle…).

1 Like

I’ll run some tests tonight. I honestly thought the pickup being setup was kind of anecdotal, especially since the pickup in question was empty and stopped when I was having this issue, but that may be it nonetheless.

What kind of issues lead you to avoid using parts ?

yeah and the start point was wrong when saving the sample and assigning it to a flex, too. OK I’ll start overdubbing using a flex machine.

Primarily user errors. Some bugs related to parts, with Recorder settings for instance.
Main reason : the need to change common settings for all parts of a song (i.e. if I want to change T1 Level, it has to be done on all parts).

For a different song I change bank (having different parts). I don’t save parts (their settings are saved with the project, in bank files).

It seems changing the Pickup to a Thru fixed it! I can now go crazy on the crossfader while changing pattern + part, no problem, so thank you. I guess Pickups are a thing of their own and shouldn’t really be used with other machines.

Changing a few levels I can manage! I’ve used the DT extensively for the last year and a half, I know the drill. Anyway, thanks again for your help!

1 Like

Pickups don’t have trigs. Normally, a part change require a trig to be effective.
Ex : if you change fx on a track with a different part, new fx is not loaded without trigs…

1 Like