Using the AR with a mobile Powerbank

Hey Gyus,

i just bought the myvolts ripchord to power it over usb but it’s not working. It works for almost all Elektron gear so I don’t know why it’s not good for the AR.

So the next try is a powerbank with a normal Schuko Steckdose and use the original AR Powersupply.

Thought about this one:

But I’m not sure if it might damage anything.

My questions:

Does anyone seeing a problem with the second solution?

Has anyone another idea to power the Rytm Moblie?

Thanks!

Andreas

Hey Andreas,
The reason why the Ripcord doesn’t work for the AR is that the Ripcord (according to spec) only delivers a maximum of 0.75A. From the top of my head I can’t say how much current AR draws, but it’s definitely higher than 0.75A. The machine is specced as 2A so anything lower than that and it’s not guaranteed to work.
I don’t know what other Elektron gear you have tried with, but if we look at Digitakt it’s specced as 1A which is still higher than the Ripcords 0.75A. This probably works anyway because the 1A is the maximum current draw during boot-up (with marginal) while during normal operation it’s slightly below 0.75A IIRC. 0.75A still is lower than than spec and therefor, strange things can indeed happen.

The reVolt Powerstation you link to should work with the AR PSU judging from its specs. The main reason why I can’t say for sure is that some inverters (can’t find any data on this one) have terribly bad 230V output waveform and I don’t know how that would interact with the AR PSU. (You could probably also use the reVolt 12VDC output and get rid of the AR PSU, but I can’t say that without more in-depth data.)

Sorry to not be able to give you a more clear answer, but I hope it sheds some light on your issue at least.

3 Likes

Thanks so much Man!

I just found this thread here and continue right there. Maybe your post can get included, lots of helpful infos or if anyone is searching here is the connection:

Cheers!

1 Like

You’re welcome!
I hope you find a good working solution :happy:

Hey, at the end i bought these 2 Banks Summer 2020. Both powering the Rythm MK2 via the DC out and Set to 12v perfectly. Also working great with the myvolts ripchord 12v powering the the Digitakt and Digitone.