Using the Analog 4 as a Drum Machine

One of my favorite things to do know is to make like 16 random pattens from the same kit. Then use my DT to randomly trigger the patterns via Multimap mode. Since they are part of the same kit you can use the macros across all the patterns.

4 Likes

Back on the A4 today!

9 Likes

New firmware coming?

Multimap with external triger makes the A4 a great drum machine, with great flexibilty.

It could be 4 drum tracks, 3 drumtracks and a bass, two drum track with 2 mono synths.

Lot of possible modulations with cc and perf.
A4 is confortable and powerfull analog drum machine when used like tweakable expander, with capable sequencer (Pyramid or Ciklon, or other).

i want to ask for some advice: Iā€™m looking to try to get some crash/ride cymbal swells (think mallets on a cymbal like pink floyd, etc) but iā€™m having a hard time working out a way to get this to work. Iā€™ve been playing with the amp attack & release to get the swell at the beginning and tail at the end, but i canā€™t seem to figure out the body of the sound. if anyone has any incite into things, I would love some help from more adept sound designers. Thanks, friends!

edit: I should mention Iā€™ve been starting with the ā€˜X0X CYMBALā€™ preset from whatever percussion sound pack i got it from. it might take using another starting point tho

check Cymbals and metallic percussions synthesis lab :wink:

2 Likes

On Digitone you can play and record Soundpool sounds without trickery. Not sure if there is another way, but I found one to play and record Soundpool sounds with A4 keyboard :

• Set Multi Map to play Soundpool sounds
  • Midi loopback (midi cable between in/out)
  • Activate Send Midi from the track.
  • Set Keyboard to EXT, Output to Track Channel
  • Set the track midi channel to Perf (controlling Multi Map).

That way the mini Keyboard sends midi to Multi Map, and you can record sounds easily.

8 Likes

Example :

16 Likes

Perkons killer :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hmm, not yet. :content:

I was gonna say, I saw this thread this morning and it totally curbed my Perkons desire.
I really needed this!

3 Likes

Hereā€™s another one!

15 Likes

I was geeked out on your post that shared your sonic recipeā€¦ the video just drove the point home. This rocks!

3 Likes

Perkons killer part 2 :grinning:

It is just a midi routing recipe. :wink:

2 Likes

Funny you said thatā€¦ when I saw the Perkons, I fired up the A4 to keep my gear lust in check.

4 Likes

Iā€™d describe this as sounding like a Minipops or CR78 with some very extensive circuit bending! Great stuff.

1 Like

The drum kit is made by @taro, you can download itā€¦

2 Likes

I would ā€¦ if I had an A4!

1 Like

You can try to download itā€¦
Sysex only.

2 Likes