Using MIDI devices with the OT that only have a USB port (no MIDI DIN port)

hi all,

i assume the answer is more or less ‘no’, but does anyone know how to use a MIDI controller with the Octatrack when it only have a USB port (no MIDI DIN port)? is there any kind of simple box (aside from a laptop, obviously!) that will convert MIDI over USB to a MIDI DIN (5 pin) port?

there’s some interesting MIDI controllers out there, but some of them are MIDI over USB only…

and obvs some use 5-pin MIDI too… :slight_smile:

oh hang on… the Faderfox PC4 is the one Surgeon uses with his OT, right? it’s also only got a USB connection? how does he do it? (or is he using a bigger MIDI controller and i’m wrong?)

ah, here is Tinez explaining how to do it with a eurorack module as the converter between USB MIDI and 5-pin (via a dongle). very interesting

you could use the Kenton USB Host or the bomebox.
some midi interfaces also have host functionality (for example iconnectivity, conductive labs)

I use a USB midi host box made by Doremidi (or something) and it’s fine

DIY option if you have a Pi or similar, courtesy of @sinedied

Depending on how much you expect your setup to grow…

I recommend something like an Iconnect MIDI4+, I’ve seen them going for peanuts on ebay. 4 DINs In +Out, up to 8 USB devices with hub.

Route, split, merge, filter, your MIDI. Also can connect 2 ipads/iphones and a PC/Mac simultaneously.

I’m using both a Mio10 and an MIDI4+, working perfectly for many years now.

Best of luck!

1 Like

From esi is the best for single in and out

which esi is this? couldn’t find an usb host on their website

It has 3.5mm MIDI in/out ports which can be connected to a standard 5-pin DIN port with the right cable/adaptor.

i had an MIDI4+ and sold it for an AUDIO4+ which not only acts as a midi to USB converter but i send OT audio signal into the AUDIO4+ to be “mastered” by my iphone, instead of using something like the HEAT. Works super slick!

fader uc4, midi fighter twister,lauchpad mini mk3 controls with conductive labs MRCC

I think the MIDI4+ can actually pass audio from Ipad to PC and vice versa, amazing feature, totally ahead of its time, on a MIDI router, wtf?!!?

They’re a great company. People complain the software is hard to use but I find it’s pretty simple.

The Mio10 and MIDI4 are like the spine of my setup, everything goes through them!

1 Like

the software is just a lot of looking at spreadsheets and figuring out which numbers you need to fill in. It’s like the first time you go in a proper studio and see a massive mixing desk, overwhelming, at first.