Using Keys performance knobs to control Rytm performance pads

Hi everyone,
I’m not comfortable using Rytm pads for performance macros, so I’m trying to use my AK knobs in performance mode to control both devices macros: this should be possible, as the manuals MIDI chart show the performance parameters respond to the same NRPN messages. To setup this I’m following these steps:

• connect AK MIDI out to AR MIDI in
  • switch PARAM OUTPUT to NRPN on the AK
  • enable RECEIVE CC/NRPN on the AR
  • set both devices’ PERF CHANNEL to the same MIDI channel

Still, this doesn’t work and the Rytm doesn’t seem to respond to any change on the performance encoders on the Keys. What am I doing wrong?

I use the AKs midi mode (Midi Ext) to control Rytms Macros.
Set the AKs midi mode channel [Function]+[Midi Ext] to the midi channel set on Rytm as Perf Channel, then set the CCs to the CCs that correspond to the Rytms macros.

I’ll have a look if you can just use the AKs macros from a regular track, without using midi ext mode.
Maybe you have to set "Output CH to “Track”, by default it is set to autochannel, so each track outputs midi on the autochannel, but performance is its own midi channel, so I don’t think that’s it. I’ll have to check when I’m in front of the machines.

1 Like

Thank you so much, let me know if you get results!
Yeah using MIDI ext mode is a good idea to control Rytm macros, but the drawback is that I can’t control Keys macros at the same time that way, and I have to quit MIDI mode to do that which is a bit distracting to do while performing.

I see.
I don’t think I’ve ever used midi output from the macros, but the manual clearly states they do send midi, so it should work…

Do you have a midi monitor? If not, there’s free software available and some DAWs come with midi monitor plugins. That’s usually the easiest way to trouble shoot problems with midi.

On the AK, under midi config -> port config, you have to set encoder destination to “int+ext”. Then it works. When its set to “int”, the macros do not send midi. Did you do that?

It’s actually pretty cool to have the AKs macros control the macros on the Rytm! Lots of possibilities for transitions and breaks.

1 Like

That’s it! I had put it to int some time ago to avoid changing parameters on the Rytm while shaping the sound on the Keys, now it works!

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Glad I could help!

With encoder destination set to int+ext all the other parameters will also send midi, so make sure to set midi channels accordingly. I usually have all Rytm’s tracks and fx tracks midi channels set to off, only performance and autochannel are set.