Using Cue outputs and guitar effects pedals

If you’re even slightly handy with a soldering iron it’s pretty trivial to build a passive reamp box for under $20usd (well under depending on how you design it). I built one of these a while back and it sounds great but I’d recommend simplifying it even more. For me, the lowe output, inductorless mode that the article says bhaves more like a single coil pickup has been mostly useless and if I were going to do it again I’d eliminate that altogether, which means one less resistor and sitch. Between that and using 1/4" jacks instead of XLR the cost is really low, I think the transformer was around $8 and that’s by far th most expensive part.

Some pedals, especially older designs from the 60s and 70s, tend to sound quite a bit different depending on how they’re loaded, so something like this can make a big difference. For other pedals it hardly matters at all. No idea if it would be worth pairing it with a passive DI for the return into the OT but probably not unless you luck in to a free transformer - unlike a passive reamp, a passive DI pretty much requires a high quality, shielded, expensive transformer to actually be usable so even DIY you’re looking at $100+ for the transformer alone (but that’s more or less the full cost, since a passive DI is literally just a suitable transformer wired up to a pair of jacks an stuck inside a grounded metal enclosure - they sound great and are easy to build but probably not something you’d need in this case, they’re more for situations where you want to get a really nice DI bass sound or something).

The DIY reamp I swear by, though,

3 Likes

I have a bunch of guitar FX pedals that I want to use with my OT. How would I set up the OT to use these?

plug the audio out into the pedal?

2 Likes

Follow the instructions that Elektron provides in the “Octatrack with external effects” set up example in the OT manual. You can disregard the text about the external synths.

5 Likes

Thanks Peter, I will try that.

no problem :+1:

1 Like

I tested the cue out trick with our Ghost Fax, which doesn’t have high headroom by any means, and it worked nicely.

It was a very quick functionality test, and I don’t remember what the audio was, so your mileage may vary. Anyway, it’s not like a pedal will explode if you exceed it’s headroom. Give it a shot.

Can you record pedal fx you make in a session or can u only “cue” it?

I use iPad as fx and focusrite 2i4 :sunglasses:sonic mayhem

2 Likes

Exact same. Plus a Strymon Deco before it goes back in. So fun.

Adding a Zoia soon. :comet:

I’ll see @cuckoomusic demo it today in SynthFest (Nantes, France)! :slight_smile:
I’m with @LyingDalai demoing some Elektron machines. :wink:

8 Likes

Interested in the ipad for fx here. Is this using something like aum? Cheers

Wow that’s too much talent in one place.

1 Like

For me the cues are on the zoom input. Thats given an AUM channel which is then routed all over the place.

3 Likes

Audiobus 3 and Turnado and someday AUM. Fresh Octa user, trying to keep it simpel :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Definitely. @LyingDalai also had it with him today ! Totally convinced.

4 Likes

You with a Zoia.

:exploding_head:

4 Likes

Yep, @sezare56´s creative mind focused on ZOIA is an exciting idea, exactly what I told him this afternoon :smile:

3 Likes

Bit of an old quote, but thanks for mentioning this! I’m looking at the Source Audio AfterShock Bass Distortion. I checked the manual and it indeed accepts line-level, so I won’t have to get a reamp. Nice. It also outputs low impedance, so I guess just turning the input gain on the OT up a bit will be sufficient.