Using Cue Out to Clock Synth via CV Input?

Hi, I might be completely misunderstanding how CV inputs work, but is it possible to clock a synth via its CV in (the synth does not have midi in) using the Cue Out on the Octatrack?

(also, just to clarify in case it’s not the right term, by ‘to clock’ I mean to send signal to the synth so it will trigger it according to a sequence on the Octatrack).

Thanks!

1 Like

Can you be more specific? When you say ‘trigger it according to a sequence on the Octatrack’, do you mean so that the synth follows the pitch of the sequence programmed in the Octatrack? If so, the answer is no, as the Octatrack does not send control voltage for the synth to respond to.

However, it is possible to use the Cue out of the Octatrack to send an audio pulse/gate of some kind that could trigger the internal sequencer on an external synth, or, say provide a clock source for a module such as Rene, or the Wogglebug. But that would be simply providing a gate to ‘drive’ the destination forward, it would not be sending any pitch information.

The Analog Four/Keys are the only Elektrons which would perform this duty. But any of them could send a gate signal as in the second example.

2 Likes

Yes this is what I mean:

“it is possible to use the Cue out of the Octatrack to send an audio pulse/gate of some kind that could trigger the internal sequencer on an external synth”

Thank you for helping me clarify this!

I want to merely send a pulse/gate from the OT into a drum synth that only has CV in, I don’t want to control any of the other parameters via the OT’s sequencer, just to trigger it.

I’ve tried doing it buy routing an OT track with trigs and samples to the Cue Out, but It’s not opening the gate of the synth via its CV input.

Do you have an advice on how to do this?

Thanks!

it can work i think. try around with a kick sample, short decay, normalise it to get full volume and boost the track level as well as the volume on the amp page. it’s different from module to module but some trigger inputs want to see up to 5V signal swing to get triggered. could be hard to get that from the OT.

3 Likes

Crank the volume. Needs enough voltage to trigger. You can normalize the sample in the audio editor and then you have track level, amp vol, cue output volume, which should be enough but there’s also compressor with make up gain or distortion, and probably more ways to increase volume…
I guess Alfred and I typed at the same time :wink:

2 Likes

it’s working now, thank you all!

it didn’t work with the CV in, but it’s working with the Trigger in which I haven’t noticed was on the synth before (it’s the Synthrote Space Drum Synth).

3 Likes

Nice loud rimshot sample.

Edit: Great, I see you’re sorted now.

3 Likes

Yeah, trigger in would be the gate…

1 Like

By the way, maybe it’s not news to anyone so feel free to skip this but when I use both outs from the OT’s CUE OUT and send one to Trigger and one to CV IN, then I’m able to control various parameters of the sound of the drum synth through the OT, not only the triggering.

2 Likes