Using Cue as a mono effects send. Is it possible?

Afternoon all.

I’m sure this is possible, but the manual is awful frankly, so I cannot find the answer to what should be a simple question.

What I want to achieve is to be able to use one of the Cue outs as a mono send, so I can insert my MF104M as a send/return.

From what I can gather, Studio mode is the key, but beyond that the manual offers seemingly nothing. “For more info, read such and such.” You then go to said section and nothing is covered. It’s like playing one of those 80s role play games on the C64 - I can only assume it’s an elaborate joke from the writer.

Can anyone tell me how it’s done? I’m sure Cue out doesn’t need to be a stereo pair

Studio mode lets you control the volume of main and cue separately by holding cue while turning the volume encoder. It’ll still be stereo, but a semi-workaround is to hard pan the source tracks. Use a thru track for the return channel.

3 Likes

Oh! There’s no way to actually specify to send via say, Cue L only then, summed to mono?

…try pannings…

Use a thru machine for the return, lets say you return from the FX into imput B, set the thru machine to listen input B only. Done.

2 Likes

Studio mode changes display and mutes behaviour only .

As @microtribe mentioned, you only need a mono fx return. If you want 2 individual sends, that’s another story…panning being essential has @reeloy mentioned !
I love internal Cue resampling, I’d miss it !
Hard choice. But personally I wouldn’t use 2 (or 4) individual outs, unless I have a 2nd OT. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m also interested in this, as I’d love to use MOOD on a send/return with Octatrack. I remember reading on here that you can use the spatializer effect to make a track mono, but could one also just tap only one of the cue output, as discussed above?

1 Like

The solution has already be addressed as above.
Spatialiser effect is not relevant in this scenario, eg: mono send/return effects.
If your effect unit sends a mono signal, than that is what you get.

Ricky Tinez has a quick tutorial using cue as an FX send. As @Anfim mentioned studio mode allows you to adjust level per track, but it’s perfectly usable with the CUE MUTES TRK setting instead:

1 Like