Using Analog Keys as MIDI Controller?

you possibly have NRPN being sent, but i’d expect that to be the case only for the synth side of the AK, the midi side i’d have expected to be limited to just CC, but maybe it does both

Thanks all! There are some helpful tips in here:)
I find the whole midi config a bit unpredictable tbh.
I used the MIDI ext button to play my external synth through MIDI, I also sometimes play softsynth using the AK as a USB midi keyboard.
However for some weeeiiird reason I cannot figure out. TRK1 is playing even though I’ve pressed the MIDI EXT button. When I de-activate the MIDI EXT button the track I currently have selected will be playing. (I use overbridge)

I’m using my AK as a controller for the Korg Wavestation plugin, and I want to get my AK’s joystick to send CC’s to the plugin via MIDI, so I can control the Wavestation patches just like the original keyboard version. I’ve looked in the AK manual, Sound Settings and the Global MIDI menu etc., but can’t find out how to assign the AK joystick to send MIDI controller 16 and 17 to its MIDI out. I must be overlooking something very simple! Any clues?

AFAIK the joystick is generating the following midi commands:

• left/right --> pitch-bend
  • up --> mod-wheel
  • down --> breath controller.

and those can be transmitted to external gear too. If I understand the manual correctly, the CC# are fixed (see manual page 28). We can control up to 5 parameters with the joystick commands inside the AK, but this does not change that e.g. mod-wheel is on CC#1 or breath-controller is on CC#2.

I fear that changing the CC# of the joystick is not a feature. But you may try to set your plug-in to the CC#s from the AK by using midi-learn :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, I was thinking that might be the case. I can hopefully configure the plugin to accept any CC for the Joystick control, so I’ll give it a go and report back!

1 Like

It seems pitch bend is not actually a CC, so on the Wavestaion software I can’t select this as an incoming controller for the Joystick, and I also can’t select different CCs for up vs. down, so I’m pretty sure it’s not possible. :frowning:

I hope in a future update it’ll be possible to stipulate which CC’s the AK joystick sends.

1 Like

Analog Keys into Cirklon - with the Cirklon’s soft-thru, I can use the AK as a master keyboard for any channel on any MIDI, USB, or CV ports. I just switch the focus on the Cirklon, and the AK controls it.

3 Likes

I have recently started to use the Keys as USB-keys for plugins and controlling Ableton Live with it. What surprised me was, that although the encoders send MIDI data, the buttons do not!? This means I am limited to 8 controllers instead of potentially 8x8. Or 8 encoders + the buttons as on/of or triggers.

Am I right or did I miss something? This seems so extremely rudimentary…

Does anyone know if the arpegiator in the Analog Keys can be used in the midi mode on external synths? Been looking at it as a potential synthvoice/midi controller with arp, the alternate I have been looking at is the moog grandmother which looks to have a simple but very usable arp in it. I currently use the keystep but the lack of octave range on the arp really puts a damper on the fun of an arpegiator to me.

No, the arp in AK/A4 doesn’t trig midi

Hey ANIK

Sorry to interject regards this so very late in the day. Did you ever get solution for this? I have been experiencing similar, so came on here to research t. Been trying to this out figure out and concluded that maybe KEYBOARD destination needs to be changed . INT, INT+EXT and EXT.

Not sure how to change this on AK?