Using AK or A4 as CV recorder for modular

Hello! As a big fan of Elektrons p locks and motion sequencing I’m searching for the same options in my modular. There is something fascinating of recording manual modulation instead of using LFOs and looks like that one of the modules that are made for this in modular world is Flame C3 knob recorder, but since I have AK I would like to know is it possible to achieve the same with the gear I already have. So far I haven’t figured out the right setup/settings for this and I’d like to know is it even possible. And if it’s not possible, then what is the difference between the CV outs on AK and modules like Flace C3?

I have no idea what you want to achieve or what teh Flame C3 does - but you can record the variation in a voltage range of your choosing from (whatever u want) max to min by assigning ValueLin to any of the 4 cv destinations - then you can record potentiometer tweaks in live record (or grid/step) mode and do with that what you will - it will still be subject to teh limitations of a step sequencer, but at least the AK has glide and TRC and extra ways to vary the Value - but essentially it can be a nifty 4 track arbitrary CV modulation source and you can perform that modulation on the AK/F - this is not exotic or advanced, it’s just basic usage of the CV options and will be discussed in many threads if you’re needing extra pointers

The C3 has 0-10v or -5 to +5v, the AK/A4 can be set to a wider range of values, and is generally much more flexible. See the CV setup page in the manual.

Hey, thanks! After a while I finally figured out the problem, that made it difficult to understand why it is not working and it was… cables : (

AK is truly amazing modulation source for modular, especially if the CV out is set to ValueLin and a LFO is assigned to “value” it is possible to do crazy modulations by p-locking different LFO rates on a sequencer, but I have to admit that AK is a picky for CV cables and it is hard to find the right ones that works. I couldn’t find 1/4 stereo jack to two mono 3.5mm anywhere on the market, so I tried bunch of different variations with different cable adapters I had, but every time there was something off, I even tried Elektrons dedicated Audio/CV Split Cable Kit and had problems with it too - it is sending CV pitch (TIP), but the gate or trigger (RING) is not working when a minijack is inserted into Split Cable adapter fully, it is working only when I take take it out a bit. In any other situation which is not related to CV signals this Audio/CV Split Cable Kit RING output is working as it should.

Still figuring this all out, but I should probably start with getting proper cables. If you have any recommendations where to order, please, do, it’d be much appreciated!

never had issue with the Elektron Kit and any of my mono cables although I may have opted for the branded ones, but I believe I tried multing from it quite successfully which would require using third party cables

but I would likely jump for my own cable just because it’s more direct and a little shorter - there’s lots of tips in that thread

maybe some 3.3 mono cables are marginal - I do recall that being an issue with some modular stuff and cheap cables

Yeah, AK is definitely more capable for modulation than C3, I found this to be very helpful for understanding CV capabilities, the only problem for me now is to find the right cables. There is no 1/4 stereo jack to two mono 3.5mm cables on the market, at least I can’t find one, except the ones that these guys makes, but it’s quite pricey - two cables with additional import charges would be more than 100 €. I guess I have to find a someone who can do a soldering. Didn’t have a successful experience with audio splitters, even Elektron Audio/CV Split Cable didn’t work properly, anyway, even if it did work, I think it is not the most convenient solution, it is a bit bulky for a such a small task and you have to have two of them.