Using AK as a midi keyboard with Ableton 10

Howdy everyone,
I’m new to this forum and Elektron products as a whole so please excuse me of my noobishness. I wanted to use my AK as a midi controller for my VST’s in Ableton but it seems no matter what I try (I’ve setup the input tracking and remote in the midi menu of Ableton and I’ve tried pushing the MIDI EXT button and messing with the MIDI channels) and I still get zero midi signal. Can anyone tell me what I’m missing?

1 Like

Is the AK set in Ableons midi preferences? You have to activate at least „Track“ next to Elektron Analog Keys Input for midi notes and also „Remote“ if you want to send midi cc.

Then just press the midi button on the AK and your‘e good to go.
Map the encoders to stuff you want to control in Live.

2 Likes

i made an Ableton Live user remote script for automapping with the AK

The leftmost 8 encoders will automap to the device controls for whatever bank you’re in (the currently selected device bank will be shown in Live’s info bar, bottom left), and the rightmost 2 encoders are used to switch those banks (would be better as bank up/down buttons but none of the AK’s buttons send midi).

Analog Keys.zip (2.3 KB)

Instructions:

• Unzip the attached file and place the ‘Analog Keys’ folder inside your home folder’s Preferences/Ableton/Live X.X.X/User Remote Scripts folder
  • Launch Live, open Prefs and select Analog Keys as a Control Surface. Set the Input to Analog Keys (Elektron MIDI) and leave Output set to None (see pic).
  • On the AK, press Func+MIDI Ext buttons to check that the midi channel is set to Auto and that the knobs run from CC#70 upwards

All should now work when using the AK’s MIDI Ext mode - the 8 encoders will automap, and encoders E & J will change device banks up/down.

9 Likes

The Analog Keys doesn’t send MIDI over USB by default when starting a new project. Make sure you have it turned on in MIDI Config under the Global Settings!

1 Like

Thank y’all so much your help, I’ve got it sorted out now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi,

How did you get this to work?

My Analog Keys was working perfectly just as above including setting to USB midi instead of Overbridge in Global Settings but now for some reason Ableton Live is not picking up any midi signal at all …even though it recognises the Analog Keys in the midi preferences.

Close Live, turn AK off/on and open Live again.
If that doesn’t work restart your computer. :slight_smile:

Maybe you accidentally had two Overbridge A4 plugin instances at one time. You shall have only one at the same time. Sometimes switching A4 itself off/on helps.

Tried those things, I’m just going to do a clean install of windows and the latest versions and drivers of everything :+1:

Sorry for a stupid question but what do you mean by banks in Live?

When you use a midi controller remote script in Ableton Live, the parameters on Live’s instruments and effects are organized in ‘banks’. Bank one is simply the first eight parameters controlled by your midi controller and by switching banks you access more parameters.

When you select an instrument, effect or rack with ‘the blue hand’ there’s this little ‘thing’ that appears on the bottom of the screen that tells you which controller is controlling the currently selected device and on which bank you are.

2 Likes

Thank you! And thanks garf for that script!

1 Like

I really can’t get this to work. I mean, ableton does recognise there is MIDI action coming in, and I can see some orange notification in the bottom of Ableton saying this

But the nothing changes in ableton when I turn the encoders. What am I doing wrong?

have you set the AK to MIDI Ext mode?

i have, yes!