Using a Pyramid with the OT

Basically, I got an MPC 2500 with JJOS and I’m trying to like it, but the only thing about it I like is the sequencer (and maybe the extra polyphony of the sample playback engine, but I could live without that). I keep missing the workflow of the OT and wishing Elektron had just added a set of pads, 64 tracks, and a chromatic mode. :smiley: In lieu of all that, I’m starting to gravitate towards the Pyramid. What are some of the ups and downs of using the Pyramid to sequence the OT, for those that have tried it?

In use, I would expect it to work something like this:

-Pyramid sends note and CC messages to the OT
-OT responds by playing samples and changing parameters as sequenced

But doing it this way bypasses the OT’s sequencer, which is indirectly used for stuff like time stretch. Is this a problem, or does the OT still behave as it should when its samples are triggered externally?

Another method to use it would be:

-Pyramid sends bank/program and CC messages to the OT
-OT responds by playing patterns with the specified parameters

In this scenario, the Pyramid would basically be a much more flexible Arranger, with the ability to automate everything under the OT’s hood. Is this kind of setup worth the purchase of a Pyramid, or will it miss out on the unique features it can provide?

Are there other more interesting ways the two machines could interact?

I think the time stretch is just done by OTs engine , not the sequencer.

3 Likes

How about slaving the Pyramid to the OT?

The OT seems to want to be the master anyway, when it comes to MIDI clock, especially if you rely heavily on the pickup machines.

1 Like

I think I get what you’re saying. The OT sets the tempo and start/stop messages while the Pyramid sequences the actual samples? I’m basically trying to find the best way to make the OT do linear sequencing without sacrificing too much of its other capabilities.

True. But I’m also thinking of things like slices (so far as I’ve heard they can’t be triggered by MIDI in any straightforward way*) and effects trigs. I could always sequence workarounds with sample start and length to fake slices, and manually program LFO envelopes, but it should be possible to have some patterns running in parallel on the OT sequencer while the Pyramid triggers a longer linear sequence of sample hits underneath… it might be a headache compared to just working within the OT’s limitations.

*EDIT: I just realized that slices can be triggered via MIDI, just not with note messages a la MPC. They can still be selected remotely by CC.

BTW, OT does, in fact, have a chromatic mode.

Yeah it does, I was just using that as a catchall term for full 88 key implementation with layering and velocity switching etc. not really that kind of sampler, I get that.

Ah, you’re referring to the one octave limit of chromatic mode. Some interesting workarounds here:

Not a bad idea to keep on working with the OT for the time being. I’m intrigued by the Pyramid myself, but already have a couple of other hardware sequencers that I still need to explore in greater depth (Emu Command Station, Korg M3). I really want to make sure that I actually need the Pyramid ;).

Necro bump, but yes there are a lot of advantages with this pairing, for example set the custom scale smartpads on Pyramid to only play the chromatic notes on OT or a scale of them, use the Pyramid to automate xfader values, use Pyramid to step lock scenes, use Pyramid to start and stop recordings, use Pyramid to access the OT midi sequencer tracks for things like re-channeling, handy if for example you have a synth that only responds on channel 1 but you are already using channel 1 on all the Pyramid midi outputs, connect the synth to the Octatrack, set one of its midi tracks to channel 1, then have the control channel for this track set to another channel say 3,
The connect that synth to OT midi out, and whenever Pyramid is sending on ch3 on the relevant port the OT will play the synth on ch1. Etc.
There are tons of other things that can be done to but those are just a few from the top of my head.

3 Likes