Use AR as 8-output soundcard?

Tried to find clarity around this but without success.

Is it possible to, via Overbridge, send up to 8 mono audio tracks to be processed by AR AND then sent to the AR’s individual analog outs and further to my analog mixing console - ie using AR as a 8-out soundcard?

Not near studio now and eager to find out about this :).

1 Like

According to this flow chart in the Overbridge Manual (;)), yes:

With the caveat that you have to make sure that the individual track your routing to is actually triggered:

1 Like

I believe any drum hits would route out at the same time, no?

1 Like

I believe so, too - can’t test it out right now. But I suppose you could use the “NONE” machine to disable the sound/noise generator and not load a sample - but again, have to test this out…

1 Like

Ah, brilliant - this opens up a new world for me! :slight_smile:

My meaning more, sure it can operate as an 8-channel soundcard, but not as a drummachine at the same time. That would be awesome if you could tell the drum sounds not to come out the individual outs, but still pass through the main outs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, ok, I get what you mean. Yes, that would be cool - but I guess you could still do some pretty wild stuff with sound locks etc. to combine drum and external input on one track.

1 Like

Oh yeah, good call!

When I experimented this, I seem to recall that trigging a track was necessary for the computer sounds to start playing thru the AR voice. But yes, you can use your rytm like a 8-channel mono mixer with a multimode filter and overdrive per channel this way, a nice way to mix down some lower-fi music (space disco, reggae, funk ipop etc) from your DAW… All into the master comp too!

2 Likes

Yes - managed to try it out just now, very cool! Just got 6 mono/3 stereo out in 24 bit but 8/4 in 16 bit. Sounded fine to me, but do we expect degradation in terms of resolution/quality compared to “regular” audio interfaces, you mean?

Can you be more specific please? Are you concerned about audio signal deformations caused by bitdepth change? Or concerned about getting incorrect audio representation because of subpar analog/digital conversions? And if concerned about conversion quality, we also need to establish the level of conversion quality we want to judge this difference against.

tl;dr - I’d try it first and worry about the academic implications later. If things sound good they usually are, assuming you can trust your monitoring/judgement.

Yes - more worried about incorrect audio representation :). I will try it out a bit more - got a positive feeling from quick test but will load a different set of audio stems to see how it translates.

This meant that I can now “stem master” with analog summing in my Midas Venice 320 - without having to repatch anything. Many thanks for inspiring me to check it out!

1 Like