USB noise loop overhub V2

What’s your general and top price range? Some hubs are more galvanically isolated as well, might be worth checking out.

Overhub supports OB speeds, but may be susceptible to cheaper onboard chipsets. I’m sure it’s a rebadge of some reliable design manufacturer and not Elektron creating an “audiophile” device for reasons of cost and mass manufacturing, they just have something certified for OB that’s easy to stock.

Oh, also do you NEED USB3 or can USB2 do? Do you require USB power for any devices or can you repurpose the hub for another port?

Options will definitely be cheaper for USB2 design as they won’t have the same speed reqs.

I buy what i need to get the problem solved, in low mid, exept for my eurorack and synth and pedals hahaha and. I have high quality on everything but hybrid setup with USB is new to me. Ane the pc i build is mid around 20k only for the in box mixning ect i only need it for USB 2.0. With the best chip for ritning low jitter thats all i need a good clean digital signal.

I only need hub for midi and firmware update and daw controller ect and my usb power controller do i have on another port

1 Like

Let me start by telling you there’s likely nothing wrong with your equipment.

What you did here is create not one, but three ground loops in your setup.
USB has the ground connection defined in its standard, it’s required for it to work correctly.
But as you have experienced here, this causes problems with ground loops.

A powered USB HUB like the Overhub can reduce this a bit, but if you connect everything to the same HUB the problem still exists. A powered HUB works if you want to (semi)isolate a single device.

If you insist on using USB connections for everything, you’ll have to use special USB cables, a USB isolator, or a DI box/audio isolator to get rid of the noise. One for every ground loop.
Another way is to connect everything to a mixer and route audio with that, if it’s well grounded most of the noise will be gone.

About Overhub, and I know people don’t like to hear this, it’s a basic $10 OEM HUB with an Elektron logo printed on it, and not even a good one. You can get the same HUB on Amazon for $10.
There is absolutely nothing special about it.
I would take a Belkin, D-Link or Orico over that any day.

There is also no such thing as USB chips optimized for audio or MIDI, that’s the thing about Universal Serial Bus, it’s universal so it has to work well with everything.
Now, there are better quality USB chips, and some manufacturers provide add-on cards with a driver that’s better optimized for multimedia. But it does nothing whatsoever for ground loops.

Apart from that, the USB controller that’s in your motherboard is most certainly just the Intel controller that’s in the chipset. It should be perfectly capable of doing everything USB has to do.
Just don’t install the drivers, let Windows sort it out via Windows Update. The basic Windows drivers are much more stable than most custom drivers.

Low quality USB controllers don’t “leak” more noise, that’s not a thing.
The power line could be more noisy, but that’s irrelevant with devices that have their own power supply. And even a high quality controller could deliver more noisy power if your computer has a bad power supply.

If you really insist about quality, this is about as good as it gets:
https://www.sonnettech.com/product/allegrousb3pcie4port.html

1 Like

Yep, I don’t think that’s a diss. I’m sure it was introduced when less common to have those minimum required specs for OB1.

Nice it have a crystal on it exacly what i need. Will check this, and use overhub for sd and USB sticks for my bitbox mk2, thx exacly what i was looking for :):slight_smile:

I think they now advise against a HUB of any kind when it comes to Overbridge.
Overhub was for the MKI devices if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

Yep, it was my first elektron device and the last, 100 k less for them, but they dont care anyway.

when it comes to electronics, you usually get what you pay for, but not with electronics.

Dom kan slänga ur mig ur forumet om dom vill skall ändå inte köpa mera av sädenas grejer, dom har visat var deras nivå ligger. Och den är riktigt ojämn i kvalitet…

To be fair, it’s just Elektron’s accessories, like their USB cables and Overhub. The bags may be a bit overpriced too.
Their gear is all high quality.

But it’s a small company and I can’t blame them for trying to make a couple extra bucks.

And it’s not Overhub that’s causing you problems, it’s the USB specification.

I bought 2 Allegro :slight_smile: Elektron its a quality brand that accept to put out bad quality for premium price, no thx

It say its the best and most optimiced USB hub for audio that fullt support all USB, why dont they ad isolation and crystal in it and higher the price instead?

Isolation chips are crazy expensive.
For the fastest USB speeds they don’t even exist.

And not only that, they can only operate at a single set speed and most of them need to be manually switched to a different speed.

And USB hubs never have their own clock, USB clock always comes from the host.

Yep, and i pay want it cost if it remove the problem:)

It probably won’t remove your problem in this case, but at least you’ll have a shedload of USB bandwidth. And you can just take those cards to the next system.

Which Allegro’s did you buy?
The one I linked is an older model, there’s also 10Gb/s and USB-C now.
But you can likely only drop one of those in your system.

You’ll also know that the USB ports are not the problem with these.

I only need to connect all my usb 2.0 to a hub to get it tight with cable managment. Is there going tro be noise loop on this to coz it put out 2v per port. Or it auto korrekt it self? i Will buy the 10gb when i need it. Sfuff like this have a long life spann like 3 pc system forward.

You mean 2 Amps?
That’s not a problem for 99.9% of devices.

And since you only seem to buy quality, 100% not a problem.

Bought Allegro USB 3.0 PCIe 4-Port Card – Sonnet Online Store this and Will try, and buy 10gb when i need. But asus proart Z790 have more TB4 and more of everything. This system i build now is going to be vst system link pc.

Quality is cheeper in the long run :slight_smile:

If it’s only going to be used for audio and midi, the extra bandwidth would be a waste of money anyway.