USB for inputting notes and also playing back out?

I’m starting to experiment more with hooking up a MIDI keyboard to the M:S. At the moment my only option is to input notes through MIDI DIN in and then swapping it to the OUT when I want the M:S to control a synth.

I’m wondering if I could use something like my Roland Boutique synth which has the K-25m keyboard, and by using a micro USB to micro USB cable, both input MIDI notes to the M:S and then play them back to the Boutique? I don’t have this kind of cable, but they do exist. Should this work?

If you don’t mind continuing to use MIDI DIN, then you may be able to get what you want, without swapping out <-> thru all the time, like this:

Not sure that the USB route is possible. But that may be ignorance on my part, I never knew such a thing as a micro USB to micro USB cable existed … I thought the micro USB was a device-only connector that needed a host on the other end … but it could be that a device to device connection would work :man_shrugging:

Thanks for that. If I’m reading it correctly, does this mean I could have one keyboard sending MIDI notes to the M:S via the MIDI IN (DIN), and then have the Track send the notes out to another synth? Sounds like a decent solution.

1 Like

That’s it. No fiddling with out/through as you change between rehearse/record/playback.

This will not work over USB because both the M:S and the Roland instrument are USB devices. USB devices need to be connected to a USB host (for example, a computer).

You could connect the MIDI Out of the Roland to the MIDI In of the M:S, and the MIDI Out of the M:S to the MIDI In of the Roland. This may be a bit awkward because the Roland instrument (you didn’t mention which one you have) may not be very flexible in its MIDI settings.

That is also possible.

From my recent test and experience, the last thing is only possible via the active track of the mc. So it can be limitating if you expect to tweak other tracks while playing the keyboard.

If it helps, I have the JU-06 module with the K-25m keyboard. I’ll give using MIDI DIN a shot. Thanks everyone.