USAMO sync

Anyone using USAMO with Bitwig? I´m having trouble, not with it in general, it might have to do with my Antelope interface of course since it´s nowhere mentioned.
But in general, how do you set it up in Bitwig? I have a very simple interface (though just ordered a iConnectivity mioXM), a Roland UM-One which is 1in1out. Then i usually split the out with a 5 port thru splitter and it has worked good before.
But now, Usamo is a bit weird in it´s behaviour.

I logged a bug with Bitwig about USAMO several months ago and they unfortunately still have not addressed it. What I’ve noticed is that other tracks’ audio “leaks” into the USAMO plugin, but only on its right channel. Since USAMO only needs one mono channel of audio-encoded MIDI data, this can be worked around by fully silencing the right channel via a Tool device inserted after (to the right of) the USAMO plugin.

If you don’t apply this patch, you will notice that as VSTs and Bitwig audio devices on other tracks get louder, your USAMO-derived MIDI clock starts to lose the plot terribly. You can also see the audio levels increasing during those moments on whatever output of your audio interface is feeding the USAMO.

Hopefully this solves your issue and that you don’t have a different kind of problem (besides the ordinary ones of setting the trimmer right to successfully calibrate the device, or of having a compatible audio interface).

1 Like

Thanks for your help!
I will try it out, i also hope it will solve my problem. I just changed midi interface so i have my hands full working with it, but will definately try out your tip.

Unfortunately i have an antelope interface so not sure it will work, no Antelope interface is listed at all. Not working, but not NOT working either. I will also try to contact support about my audio interface.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Bitwig is stilll a no go but in Ableton i managed to get it to be all green in the test, thanks to some hints from OS @ wiggler. Now i would be able to do the same thing in Bitwig, i hope since i like the interface more.

2 Likes

I have good experience with USAMO + Bitwig. What Autopoiesis stated is correct. Place a tool behind it and set the panning 100% left. I’m not sure if it’s a bug (I reported it too) or by design. Bitwig has funny ways how it handles audio Routing, hybrid tracks and sandbox plugins that sometimes cause this behavior. Anyway it’s a simple workaround so I don’t bother. I compensate the latency with a time shift tool (to the right of the tool device) instead of inside the USAMO plugin. I have 2 shift devices each set to correct the latency for when I set my audio interface to 128 or 256 samples. I enable the one I need and disable the other. In Bitwig disabled devices are completely offloaded. The resultIng clock is now correctly latency compensated so I don’t have to adjust the usamo plugin when I introduce latency inducing plugins in my project.
In combination with my Rme ufx I must say that Bitwig own midi clock isn’t bad and the midi (notes) jitter match that of the USAMO.

That said, I recently started using OB for my new RYTM and no longer feel the need to use USAMO in that scenario. The clock is really tight and to my ear matches that of the USAMO.

Lastly I’ve had good experience with daisy chaining USAMO (rytm-tr-8s-sub37-Voyager, clock exclusively, so no other midi data) but mostly use my cirklon as an outrageously expensive midi splitter.

2 Likes