UPS brokerage fees on Octa sent in for repairs?

Hey E’nauts,

So I shipped my Octatrack from Canada to their US centre for repairs. (Fast and great service - thank you Elektron!)

However, it’s making its way back to me and UPS is sending me a bill for “import fees”(?).

Seems nutty to me. I didn’t purchase anything.

Anyone else experience this?

Yes.

I am not surprised that UPS is charging a fee - probably for brokerage, and Canadian taxes thereon. I understand that this is more likely if the unit is out of warranty, in which case you are likely paying tax on the price of the repair.

If you need an explanation, talk to Elektron via your support ticket correspondence.

1 Like

I have been annoyed by UPS brokerage fees for US->CAN shipping in the past. I try to get shippers to use USPS where possible. I don’t think there’s much you can do with UPS if you can’t get Elektron US to consider an alternate shipping method.

Yeah, it’s on its way back as we speak, so I’ll have to pay up.

Not a huge amount, I just quite dislike UPS’s methods and fees.

Much prefer when I’m getting something from the states via USPS.

If it’s any consolation, I’m in the US currently, and UPS routinely ignores signature requirements (chosen so they will actually ring my doorbell instead of flinging the package somewhere) and half the time the delivery SMS messages I’ve requested don’t arrive. Even USPS, historically quite impressive, has suffered greatly from recent political interference.

1 Like