Upgrading - have you ever lost all your data while doing an upgrade?

In the upgrade instructions it says user data can be lost?

Is this a common occurence?

Would you recommend I backup everything first?

1 Like

Yes, it does.

No.

Yes. How would you feel if you lost your stuff?

I’ve my phone set to back up every time it’s plugged in to power and on WiFi. So usually twice a day.

My MacBook set to back up once a day (the default is every hour, but I don’t create enough files on it to warrant that).

The very least you should do with any electronic device is back it up before updating the OS.

I’ve never had a problem losing data on the M:S, but for the minute it takes and the peace of mind it gives, it’s good practice.

Thanks. What is the best way to do this?

I think it would be:

1. Copy all samples in their respective directories to a directory onto a back up disk via USB.
  2. Connect to DAW, start recording midi and send Sysex dump of whole project via USB. (Or individual patterns).

Is it worth switching to a new empty project and loading in the Sysex project file to check it recorded correctly?

Better safe than sorry, isn’t it?

A while back there was a bug which produced invalid sysex dumps on one of the Elektron devices. Relying blindly that a backup is okay is almost in the same ballpark as making no backup at all …

Sorry to keep asking noob questions! But …

how do I record a Sysex dump from the M:S?

I’m using Ableton 10 but it Ableton help says I need to use a maxforlive instrument to work with Sysex?

Check the M:S support page for the Elektron tool named Transfer.

1 Like

C6 worked for Sysex (once I exited Transfer - caused a conflict)