Upgrading an OT mk1 to mk2?

Nah, that was a brilliant and funny joke.

I hope you have a better rest of your day <3

6 Likes

This.

If those new ā€œfeaturesā€ are worth to you the extra $400-500 then sure mate. Enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Donā€™t stand in the way of LOVE, you MONSTER! :cry:

2 Likes

my Octatrack is 6 years old and still going strong. If it died tomorrow and i cant honestly complain and would invest in the MK2 without hesitation. But why would i buy another one until that happens? Surely an ā€˜easierā€™ workflow is only ā€˜easierā€™ if you donā€™t know how to use a bit of gear?? To me a different workflow would be a hinderance at the stage because its taken me this long to build my muscle memory for the MK1!

6 Likes

When a car manufacturer brings out this years model, a slightly updated ā€˜faceliftā€™ version of your current car, do you expect them to upgrade your old car to the new spec?

well yeah. they almost always take trade ins.

wait, who takes trade ins?

IIUC, official support (as in spare parts and repairs) to the mk I models will end almost immediately after the mk II models are available. Therefore I plan to upgrade as soon as finances allow rather than to wait for later. I am not recommending anyone else does the same, YMMV and all that.

The way these boxes are built, Iā€™d expect the trinity becoming discontinued by elektron entirely (for both mk I & II) before the existing mk I models break down. Than what, ebay? Man I am still hunting for a replacement denon SC3900, they are not constantly avvilable and the condition / taxes etc variesā€¦ what a PITA. Shoulda bought two decks when denon still sold em, lesson learned.

Been building my OTB rig for about 7 yrs now (ā€œcompletedā€ my ITB rig in ~2012), and Iā€™m slowly starting to realize that the og way, how I started all this in 1995, synths and an ext seq + mixer + fx, will only get you so far. Automation and recallability of sessions is just as important as the rest of the gear. And investing into a trinity gives you exactly this, unlike many other machines. I never had a trinity before, for various reasons. Well, now Iā€™m sold on the idea, and I want to go mk II with it. And sell off all the excess bit of gear I have collecting dust. Many gorgeous sounding but impractical bits of kit like the MPC4000 and a Casio CZ-5000 etc

btw, what different workflow? All that has changed is a few hotkeys, and I have not even developed a comprehensive muscle memory for the OT yet. I doubt the rytm mk II layout will change much, if at all.

Exactly

They will continue to provide encoders and buttons (which are likely to fail the most often through wear and tear) likely for a long time to come. Units are still just starting their warranty period so this needs to be honored at least 3 years.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s excellent. Will take me little under three years to afford/collect the mk II trinity anyway, so reassuring to know.

Theyā€™re still supporting the silver boxes as well. Iā€™m guessing this is obvious since the last batch manufactured last year is still within warranty period, but Iā€™m under the impression that they will continue to repair those machines for many years to comeā€¦

2 Likes

Well yes, a motor trader may take a trade-in of an old vehicle against the sale of a new car, just as a bricks and mortar music retailer may well take a part exchange on an old instrument against the sale of a new one.

That is, however, a trade in and as we all know youā€™re almost always better off selling your existing vehicle/equipment privately as you will get more for it than you were offered as a part exchange.

And more importantly, itā€™s not the same as the original equipment manufacturer supplying some form of upgrade which is what the OP was suggesting is it?

1 Like

My main hope remains that we will get further bug fixes thanks to the new model. The mkII also means there will be more and ā€œbetterā€ replace options if my current OT goes kaput. That is nice as well.

1 Like

I donā€™t know, most of the equipment I use has lived 25-35 years through multiple owners and who knows how much abuse and all of it works fine another than the occasional battery replacement. If my OT died after 6 years, especially at the price, it would reflect really badly on Elektronā€™s built quality and make me reluctant to buy from them again. A new switch or two 15-20 years maybe, but even that is pushing it.

I donā€™t expect it to die any time soon though.

1 Like

Encoders/pots/switches may need to be replaced, but thatā€™s not unexpected on any kit.

1 Like

For sure, but under normal use even cheap plastic pots from the 80s, like the stuff in the old Arion pedals, are still usually fine in my experience. Iā€™d give the OT like 15-20 years of solid use before it should need any stuff replaced assuming it doesnā€™t get knocked around somehow. The shortest lifespan Iā€™ve had on parts like that so far are the switches that were specified on the old Adafruit BOM for the x0xb0x, those started to get a little fussy after only about 5 years of use but they were also notoriously unreliable. And I guess the power switch on my old stereo receiver failed a few years ago but that thing was from around 2973 and came out of somebodyā€™s trash.

I guess my point is, the OT should and probably will last a lot longer than 5 years before it needs even routine service.

I see what youā€™re saying, but maybe your timeframes are a bit too long? it seems quite common for those encoders to start failing after 5-10 years of heavy use.

I wonder if thatā€™s because of pushing them for coarse control? 5 years seems like a short time, occasionally sure but I think a decent encoder should last a lot longer than 5 years under normal use. Again, Iā€™ve got plenty of gear from the 80s and early 90s that has seen heavy use for decades and the encoders are still completely fine.

Anyway, itā€™s somewhat moot since itā€™s an easy repair as long as parts are still around. Might pick up some spares now before they hit EOL.