Updated Overbridge - Now all old projects are "Missing VST"

I don’t freaking believe it.

So I had just spent a week preparing a whole album worth of session files for some new overdubbing work with my hardware setup. Then last weekend I had a moment spare and thought “Oh I’ll update Digitakt OS to the new version”. That all went fine and I thought nothing of it.

Today I started the first overdub recording session only to discover that Overbridge needs to be updated to connect with the new version of Digitakt.

Fine, update Overbridge.

Annoyingly Overbridge asks me to restart the computer (I’m already grouchy now as the flow has been completely interrupted).

Restart, open the session and Studio One says “Missing instruments Analog Four, Digitone, and Digitakt”.

It seems that instead of ‘replacing’ the old Elektron VSTs, the new Overbridge update has effectively installed completely new VSTs and Studio One isn’t recognising the new ones as being a drop-in replacement for the old ones, so now my hardware recording template is borked and EVERY session I just created for the dub techno overdubs has to be fixed or recreated.

This also means that every single old project I open which was using the A4/DN/DT VST will now be broken when I reopen it and will require me to re-add the VST instruments and rework my routing setup for recording.

I’m fairly sure this has never happened before - usually I just update Overbridge and I can open Studio One and all the old projects work as before. Did anyone else encounter this - or could it be specific to Overbridge + Studio One?

but it most assuredly is

Mac or Windows?

Windows 11

I had a load of bother once because windows assigned my DT a new usb id. Theres a free software you can use to delete all the unused usb IDs and that sorted the issues… Maybe worth a try in this instance?

For the plug in you might be scuppered though if it thinks its a new plugin. NI Kontakt does this too annoyingly…

1 Like

Yeah I don’t think it’s anything to do with USB stuff - just that Elektron have registered the VST as an entirely new VST instead of replacing the old one. I noticed that there were VST2 and VST3 instances available - I can’t remember if they had that before.

I really hope this doesn’t happen the next time that there’s a VST update for Elektron as it’s a real pain reconfiguring my templates and old tracks

Ah, I meant it looks like it’s not detecting your Digitakt too, may have that wrong!

Any recollection there?

Windows can be pretty silently sneaky about bad driver configs and it’d be good to wipe them all out knowing that utility.

Maybe revert to old DT firmware and reinstall previous version of Overbridge…?

Edit: Isn’t there a way to go back a version in windows, like a snapshot?

This one

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

1 Like

Ah, thanks! I remember them from some other utilities.

Ah yes, sorry, I should have posted additional images. That’s the “old VST”

So this is my old template with the original “Digitakt” which was working fine before I updated Overbridge, and with the new “Digitakt 2” which I added from my list of available VSTs.

The “new” VSTs are all working absolutely fine - it’s just very weird that the “old” VSTs have been deregistered as such instead of just being replaced.

So any tracks I have with midi being sent to my hardware via an ‘old’ Elektron VST will need me to insert a new instance and reconnect the midi etc

It’s fine, just very weird and a bit of a hassle (and yesterday just threw me off and spoiling the flow of the afternoon’s recordings :grin:)