UPDATE! TRACK CHALLENGE: Bootleg Beats [Working with Distortion]

I actually meant i do not find it necessary to vote for winners in general, (i can’t see the benefit in this context) but re-reading my post i see were the confusion came from. English isn’t my first language and replying on a phone that keeps locking to dutch spelling isn’t helping either… But by all means… vote for me :smirk: i you feel like it

1 Like

Yeah this was fun and I enjoyed the process and hearing what everyone came up with. Funny how a number of us had shiz come up in our personal lives while this was going on.

Our 16 year old cat died unexpectedly and I had to deal with that, just as others had to deal with drama themselves.

I was surprised to not hear a track from @mnroe.

Damn konputa sorry to hear that. I can’t even THINK about losing my baby (dog) she’s 6 so hopefully I don’t have to think about that for 10 years or so.

& yeah…my dad just had a heart attack. The day after Father’s Day. I’m at the hospital right now, but he’s doin good now, he just got out of surgery like 3 hours ago & he’s up & talking.

So yea, not a good month for some of us!

We don’t have to vote, too be honest voting stress’s me out, I love listening to the beats, which I’ve already done a few times :o) I just hate pickin a winner. Everyone did great…a good variety of styles as well as uses of distortion. I’m down with whatever guys decide.

1 Like

Yikes. Sorry about your dad and I hope he was a speedy recovery. Funny how life can have a way of throwing up roadblocks. It makes you realize how lucky you are when things are going your way and how easy is to take for granted. It was difficult to finish a 90 second long audio track this time around. How silly is that?

Anyway, cheers to @mnroe for doing this. I hope to see more projects like this in the future.

1 Like

the only real winner was distortion. looking forward to cassette mix

4 Likes

Winner will curate and create the next mission if they please.

1 Like

I was just going to curate & manage the contest. My contribution will be the mix. I’ll participate in the next one the winner will make

2 Likes

Yea I get picking a winner for that purpose (winner curate’s next battle & the battles just keep goin & goin) but even as curater…submit a beat if you can…the more beats the better :grin:

Finally i got time to listen to all! And for the purpose of getting another mission (please allow for some generous deadlines) i selected my favourite.

Waftlord: I really like the overall feeling, very spacey. Good non-repetitiveness and seamingly endless variations, whilst still keeping coherence. The master distortion might have been applied less by a tiny amount but … well … yeah it does sound damn good… Bonuspoints for visuals (that sparkled nostalgia for the ultrasound picture of my children).

konputa: Subtle use of distortion (at least after listening to Waftlord :upside_down_face:). Very atmospheric, and actually feels a bit too short (but rules… i know).

cold_fashioned: well, to put it gentle: not my cup of tea, sorry. Fast tempos and me just don’t match, they make me nervous.

Highways: This instantly appealled to me, there’s melody, space, well balanced elements… Nice! Chord Stabs!!! :heart_eyes:

Sharris: Nice mellowness, but the overal mix feels a bit undynamic. It might need a rapper? :wink:

My pick: @Highways !

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback luuk!
Mine needs more than a rapper,
tho a rapper would have helped!

I’ll listen to all again this weekend &
will provide my feedback :sunglasses:

1 Like

@mnroe, do you have a timeline in mind to finish the tape?

I’m digging for samples now so that I can curate one of these down the road. :slight_smile:

Really enjoyed the tracks this challenge produced

2 Likes

Thanks @luuk the non YouTube compression audio reveals my ott use of distortion even more. Hoping the cassette saturation soothes it a bit :wink:.

1 Like

tapes coming along. Just a little slower than i thought. Getting over a sinus infection…

2 Likes

Take your time mnroe, hopefully you’re feeling better!

Well…if I have to pick a favorite, I’m goin with luuk. Love the vibe, had my head bobbin thru out. It has a nice 90’s west coast hip hop feel!

Waftlord, I really like your use of distortion, it’s hard to make a lot of distortion sound good & I thought you did a great job. Really like the sound you used as the bassline as well.

Konputa, I wish your beat was longer! Loved the first minute sooooo much, really good man!

Cold Fashioned you def. took on the distortion side of this battle! Really original!

Highways, great job as well, really balanced like luuk stated.

I really liked all beats, this will be a nice little mix :grinning:

1 Like

Are you guys doing this again? For some reason I missed the challenge :unamused:

1 Like

Yeah I’m sure we’ll see more of these to come. I’m working on a little sample pack for a challenge I’ll curate down the road.

1 Like

My hard drive failed so I’m back in the threads digging things up. This track didn’t get the love it deserved. Sending good vibes!

aaaawww thanks, that just made my day :heartpulse:

1 Like