UPDATE: Replaced the Analog Heat with SSL SiX

Hmmm, yes. I guess this is why the Heat’s proposition is unique. Even if you use it just for getting the mix in shape, it’s not a bad option.

1 Like

There’s this, I suppose. But perhaps overkill in other ways.
https://www.solidstatelogic.com/studio/six/applications

1 Like

For ITB I recently got softube Weiss MM-1. Very straight forward and sounds great.

1 Like

I’m using SiX also and couldn’t recommend it enough. Everything sounds better (monitoring and recording) and the comps are surprisingly versatile and useful.

3 Likes

Keep your AH. Put him in his box. Put the box somewhere secure. And one day, you will get it back, and you will love it again.

4 Likes

May I suggest giving the 30 day trial of Process.Audio’s Sugar a go. I absolutely love it and bought it as soon as my trial ran out. Plus you can have as many instances as you want :blush:

5 Likes

If you need the preamps I think the SIX is a bargain, if you just need to keep your mix levels in check it’s way overkill.

2 Likes

I do not need the preamps. So this one is out, then.

I’ll def read up on it, to see if it’s for me. I do want to keep away from computers, it seems to work for me, but one must be ready to embrace change if the gain becomes too obvious to ignore.

1 Like

Almost any mixer is going to have preamps you don’t need though. One of the main selling points of the SiX, I thought, is the analogue summing, buss compressor etc., it giving you the “SSL sound” in a compact mixer.

If you just want two-buss colour / magic maybe their Fusion unit is closer to what you want.

3 Likes

Six is great. I bought two so they are connected permanently. A bit mental really but time is precious.

3 Likes

It would seem so on paper, but it’s way too expensive for me, like the UA previously mentioned. But I’m looking for something alone these lines. Perhaps they’re all priced accordingly, though. Makes the software argument quite strong.

1 Like

Especially for us mentals :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, and I think the software emulations have come a long way. The Waves SSL G master buss compressor sounds pretty amazing to me and it’s less than a hundred dollars at the moment.

I should add that everything I do, comes from the Blackbox. And it has three stereo outs, not just one master output.

Not much I can do with that now with the Heat at the end, but I guess with an SSL SiX, other options open up, given the context. Throw the Polymoon and Chase Bliss Mood into the mix, and things become interesting in new ways.

A lot of my recordings are live takes from sampled material, where actual tweaks and whatnot aren’t automated or modulated, but results of me having a go while the tape’s recording. With multiple outs into a mixer and aux sends on top of that, it becomes another game. Maybe not a better one, but def another one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Have you been using the AH on the recent songs that you posted? If so, I’d keep it, as they had a good character to the sound of them…

3 Likes

It’s all over them. Thanks for saying :pray::blush: but a lot of their character comes from the source material, so I’m starting to wonder if just the clean boost without filtering might’ve been the better way to go. I guess I really should try to do multiple mixes and see which one I like best.

3 Likes

You bring up an interesting scenario / conundrum. I’ve been a dedicated analog heat user since I got it a couple years ago. It’s been at the end of my chain since then. I essentially use it for everything in different ways. Recently, I built a couple 500 series mic pres that now exist at the end of the chain. I haven’t done extensive a/b type testing yet, but early returns are positive. Very subtle, but I think there’s some good stuff happening. How-ev-er! Now, the rabbit hole deepens because now I’m thinking “ok, maybe I want a bus compressor in the chain somewhere”. At this point, I’m looking hard at the SSL six because it has all of these things and more in a nice package and for, frankly, the same price as piecing it together. I did have fun building the pre-amps and all, so that’s worth something. The SSL has lots of routing options for FX sends and I can also put the heat on the aux send, so it’s still available whenever I want that special sauce. At any rate, I’m still going to explore the current setup, and now I’m curious to see if I run into the same Heat Fatigue that you are talking about. I don’t have the space for the SIX yet anyway, but it’s good to have goals, haha. Hope that ramble was somewhat useful.

1 Like

How does this compare to Gulfoss?

No idea to be honest. Just skimmed through the SOS review. Sounds interesting