Update Analog Rytm MK2

Yeah, I’m not that long into Elektron - they existed before I arrived!

Yeah, it’s what I love most about Elektron boxes, it’s such a joy to create sequences that way. I’ve just got Drambo for iPad which has conditionals & takes it a bit further, you can select multiple play steps instead of just one.

I sold my grey OT mk2 and black A4 mk2 a few months ago. I only sold them bc I bought the DT and ST and thought I would like them more than the dark trinity. I owned a dt when it was first released and got rid of it promptly bc I had the mk1OT and didn’t like digitakt the way it was. I figured I’d give it a shot again this past summer since it has matured. I pre-ordered syntakt on release as well. I thought that now I can get rid of the analogs and the ot so I sold a4 and ot but kept my AR.

I was wrong.

Having the AR still I tend to like it more than DT and ST. I haven’t taken them out of their boxes to do the latest updates bc I’m more focused on AR.

There are things about dt and st I hope would be passed on to AR but I’m not going to get rid of the AR bc it doesn’t have certain features.

I do wish Elektron would bring over more of what Machinedrum and Monomachine had on the digital side of things as well as all of our hopes listed above.

I’m considering going back to the dark trinity again bc I feel that is certainly the ultimate setup even with lacking a second lfo, additional machines, and bandwidth filter.

4 Likes

just force quit bitwig and restart bitwig

Can’t you use an Octatrack LFO to control params on the Rytm to effectively give you a second LFO?

1 Like

You can also use CV, or computer generated MIDI CC Not quite the same as having native LFOs per voice though.

I recently acquired a ARmk2 and the only glaring omission for me really is not having more LFOs. That would be my main request and if it was possible to expand the limit of Scene parameters within a kit. I max that out super fast!

Those two additions would really open up the machine a great deal. All the other ‘limitations’ force creative workflows which I’m totally fine with.

4 Likes

I just want to chop samples on a single track. No, I don’t want an mpc. I love the ARmk2’s sound and workflow. They way those filters transform samples is kind of magical. So, a bit more flexibility please. This machine deserves to shine.

13 Likes

Well I’ve tried the Digi Elektrons except for Syntakt as it wasn’t out last year and always preferred the flagships like A4 and OT which is why I bought these. I bought a Digitone for FM synth and like it but was not beefy sounding until I added Analog Heat to it. Just got my new Rytm today and sounds amazing no need to use AH with it. My buddy got a Syntakt so I’m looking forward to checking it out. Love the Rytm it’s my favorite Elektron now next to OT.

2 Likes

That’s why you need an Octatrack but yeah I get what you’re saying as the sampler is weak point of the Rytm besides only having one LFO. I have the OT and SP404 MK2 and didn’t buy Rytm for the sampler that’s just cherry on the cake for me as added bonus and can use LFOs from my OT and AH. But yeah it needs that update.

happened to me as well couple of times, they do run out quickly because 12 tracks is a lot when you use them all and there are many params to lock.
I’ve started being more conscious to what I’m p-locking and also taking more advantage of the velocity mod more, instead of locking everything I’m trying to figure out what can be modded with velocity and move it there saving p-lock space and it actually became a limitation that I like, the only gripe I have is that it’s kinda hard reaching the velocity mod menu when you want to quickly adjust range or change a destination.
I suppose a good workflow to know what you want is to get the sound you want, copy current trigs to memory, set 4 trigs with 0-40-80-127 velocity and adjust the range in one go and then paste back your trigs, but that’s not so easy if you have more then 1 page, then you have to adjust page length or change to empty pattern and it becomes less convenient to do, but still, saves you p-locks and gives you a macro :slight_smile:

EDIT: oh dang you were talking about SCENE params while I’m rambling about p-locks, silly me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Haha, yes but thanks for the added info as I haven’t played with the velocity mod menu and I didn’t realise there were p-lock limits also. All good to know so cheers!

My workaround for savouring scene parameters was to manually mute tracks instead of assigning in a scene. This frees up a lot especially if you’re setting a Scene for only a couple of sounds, potentially saving 10 scene locks. Still though, it’d be best if there were a surplus of locks so you didn’t have to worry about it.

Totally going to experiment with the velocity mod matrix next session. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It took Elektron a long time to release all the A4 updates/upgrades, but it’s a monster synth now.

2 Likes

In my opinion, it would only be a monster synth if it could control CC. that would allow so much power.

all newer elektrons can do that, but not the most expensive ones, i.e. rytm and A4. I just do not understand. I get annoyed about it every time, because I then have to draw the autmation in ableton per mau.

where the syntakt solution is also quite difficult, because you have to sacrifice a machine for it. This is not the case with digitakt, digitone and OT. That’s really a pity.

3 Likes

what i meen with interface upgrade…
it works very well, but i am on the edge on this instrument, CV inputs everything is maxed out.

just some workflow optimisations (Sampler UI/for Cutting), Quick performance actual value indicator of locks, what is locked?! i can´t remember :slight_smile: , more eq´s (eq´s are analog?, than impossible :slight_smile: )and LFO´s like digitakt (should be digital)…

Parameter Slide needs a Smooth value in my opinion.

hope someone tell me how to do it, i found nothing…

best,
OX

2 Likes

agree and also performance and quick performance mode is quirky on the Rytm. Like how to assign parameter values to the encoders for each track? I try and it is very tricky to do so.

Select the track [Trk]+[pad/trig], hold the pad for the Perf macro, adjust the param.

It’s trickier than it sounds. During the action, you have to hit a pad twice, and it refers to different features each time: one tap to select a track, one hold of maybe a different pad to select the macro.

2 Likes

after years of practice I can program scenes and performances on a fly)
most tricky thing is pressing Func+PAD, then TRC+PAD to change track, and then change parameters holding PAD. I will prefer using QPER button or some other buttons to make this actions more separate, to avoid mistakes, that I still make sometime in this process

5 Likes

Why do you need to press [FUNC+PAD] first?

1 Like

you need to press Func+PAD first time to start programing performances, without FUNC just applies it. I’ll be glad if I’m wrong)

3 Likes