Unquantized Hip Hop beats with OT

Howdy folks. i am learning the OT for creating hip hop beats. I do like unquantized live recordin mode but my beats are still pretty sloppy. Any tips and tricks on how to tighten up my sloppy playing?

Function+Bank will get you to the trig menu where you can quantize individual tracks to various degrees:

:sparkles:

3 Likes

Have you discovered any way of altering the quantization for quantized live recording?

Itā€™s all or nothing for thatā€¦
I think itā€™s probably best to just keep practicing the physical timingā€¦ And use the above if need to tighten upā€¦

1 Like

I was dreading the P word haha.

1 Like

If you enable quantize live recording in the preferences menu, itā€™ll automatically quantize anything you record to 16th steps, ignoring microtiming. I think you still need to record it into the sequencer to hear the quantised results on the next pass, though (not truly ā€˜liveā€™ quantisation)

But that is locked to 1/16 yeah?

yeah thatĀ“s the idea, what else were you thinking?

edit: hallo Mike, I see you typing

1 Like

Cool. I was hopin i could change it to 1/32. My beats sound like shit at 1/16. To the practicemobile!

cheap hackarello: set track scale to 2x. itā€™ll be half the length but double resolution. blam! thirtytooths.

5 Likes

I was just thinking that, and you could chain another pattern to get 4 barsā€¦

1 Like

Or abuse the conditional trigs. So many options for extending patterns on the OT at this point.

4 Likes

Oh right! I havenā€™t upgraded yet, in the process of movingā€¦
Once Decmber hits and Iā€™m in my next spot, I know what Iā€™m doing!

3 Likes

Hear that?

We have only 2 weeks to prepare for the awesome onslaught of new found tricks, creative workarounds, and general wizardry that @Open_Mike is sure to drop on us once he gets his hands on some OT trig conditions.

Ordering my poncho nowā€¦

5 Likes

@Gaia.Tree Did you try Quantized Trig in Attibutes?
It let you play trigs real-time quantized to 1/16 for example. (You can change Scale too for 1/32).

1 Like

Thanks @adamjay, haha, I was worried the ol OT would have to go into storage and Iā€™d be couch surfing for awhile, but itā€™s looking like I have two possible room options for Decā€¦ Still need to finalize but seems promising!
Looking forward to going deep this winter, Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll see you cruising by down there somewhere!

1 Like