Unquantized and variable step-count Eurorack sequencer

I’m looking for simple one-knob/slider-per-function-ish (function=) pitch sequencer, Eurorack. Basically something like how I imagine the Music Easel 5-step sequencer. Currently I have a Tirana (4 step sequencer), which I make work, but it can only do 5-8 step sequences if I ratchet/repeat some of the notes, or use an external trigger from my OT via midi module to restart, which is starting to become annoying. I’d love one that could select the sequence length on the module itself easily.

So specifically:

• Ability to be unquantized (So no Metropolis/x unfortunately, only does quantized I believe)
  • Ability to do 5 step sequences. Ideally 1 up to 8 steps, but immediate mánual control to select the sequence length (not via restart cv input that needs an external trigger).
  • Nice clear and simple controls and overview of the sequence. No sequencers that use the same sliders for multiple functions.
  • Extra hands-on playability tricks/functions are not a problem (like some of the Metropolix stuff), as long as it’s immediate, clear, and playable in it’s controls.
  • Pitch (CV) sequencer; but if it also does triggers/gates then that’s fine (or maybe even nice as bonus).

Would something like the Ladik S-280 be what I’m looking for? Or their S180 + S184 combination? Or The Doepfer A155? Or Behringer 960 sequential controller? Or the Behringer System 100 182 Analog Sequencer, although the knobs might be too mini to be that fun to play? Better options for what I’m looking for? I’ve seen some people mentioning the Mutamix, not sure if only interesting as a secondary function or really good as sequencer on its own right…? If it doesn’t have to be expensive I’d prefer it not to :slight_smile:

Any other tips or experiences shared about things that I don’t know yet regarding these kinds of sequencers are also definitely welcome - perhaps I’m overseeing certain issues in how I’m imagining this type of sequencer.

Clank Chaos? Definitely breaks your “same sliders” rule, but it’s surprisingly intuitive and fun to play after a few hours practice.

If you are going unquantized I wouldn’t rule it out.

Edit - pic

1 Like

0-Ctrl? It can do 5 step sequences if you want, plus all kind of other stuff. If you’re looking for a buchla-ish experience it may be the best option

2 Likes